Lathe grinding wheel attachment?

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
While I was surfing the internet the other day, I came across a grinding attachment for a lathe. I tried finding the attachment that I saw the other day and I can't seem to locate it now. It was a bit expensive but it got me to thinking, why couldn't someone make and attachment for a grinding wheel for a lathe. You could use either a long Carriage bolt or maybe a small go-kart axle etc. Then you would have a variable speed grinder. I did find and attachment but they want about 40 bucks for it. For that much money you may as well just go get a grinder.

Thoughts

Thanks
Robert

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Rater than a carriage bolt why not buy one of those little grinding wheel shafts that are made to go on a electric motor shaft? I used to have one kicking around if I can find it you can have it. Only thing that bothers me about a grinding wheel in the wood shop is hot sparks and sawdust, for this reason I only use my old delta wet grinder in the wood shop and keep my bench grinder in my garage. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...hUKEwi0lI7h4_vRAhULwFQKHSpBCiwQuxcIogE&adurl=

Last edited:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I've made face plates that I stick sandpaper to to use on the lathe. Just take an old 3 or 4 inch face plate, screw to a piece of 4/4 maple, turn to 8 or 9 inch diameter and get the face flat. Uses off the shelf sticky back paper. for most things that works quite well. Only thing is having to put it on and remove it while working on projects. Having a stand alone grinder or sander saves a fair amount of time not having to switch over regularly.

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rater than a carriage bolt why not buy one of those little grinding wheel shafts that are made to go on a electric motor shaft? I used to have one kicking around if I can find it you can have it. Only thing that bothers me about a grinding wheel in the wood shop is hot sparks and sawdust, for this reason I only use my old delta wet grinder in the wood shop and keep my bench grinder in my garage. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...hUKEwi0lI7h4_vRAhULwFQKHSpBCiwQuxcIogE&adurl=

I tried doing searches for electric motor axles and I really came up with nothing. That link that you shared looks like it would work. Thanks
Also, I agree that a person doing grinding in a wood shop would have to be careful. Sadly I have no other option but to use it in my garage/shop unless I mounted it on a rolling pedestal. The only drawback to that is, room is very limited in my shop already.

Thanks
Robert

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
I've made face plates that I stick sandpaper to to use on the lathe. Just take an old 3 or 4 inch face plate, screw to a piece of 4/4 maple, turn to 8 or 9 inch diameter and get the face flat. Uses off the shelf sticky back paper. for most things that works quite well. Only thing is having to put it on and remove it while working on projects. Having a stand alone grinder or sander saves a fair amount of time not having to switch over regularly.

Or, screw a piece of wood to a face plate like you said then turn it down just a bit smaller than the wheel and screw a lag screw and washer thru the arbor hole and into the wood to snug it up. that might work also. thanks

robert

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
And you need to cover the ways of your lathe when sanding or grinding metal to protect them. Like Colin I too have made sanding disc for the lathe, but I only use them for wood. Grinding is done in the metal shop. Here's a link for some disc for sanding that I made a long time ago.

http://woodbarter.com/threads/disc-sander-for-the-lathe.641/

Last edited:

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
I mounted a piece of wood on a faceplate. Cut a tenon 3/4 the width of a grinding wheel that it fits snugly over & a centering/ holding wood piece with a tenon & center spot for the live center to hold against, turning the lathe into a grinder. I always take one with me when I do demonstrations in case there is no grinder.
A rag goes under to keep the grit off.
I've also mounted the Oneway sharpening holder on the lathe bed so I can use all the jigs.

I'll post picts.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Lee, enjoy Lake Yale. I was really hoping to attend and get to meet you. With coaching basketball, and a 60 acre parcel to cruise, I ran out of time. Might visit Paul and tell myself its Florida...yeah...maybe...

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Lee, enjoy Lake Yale. I was really hoping to attend and get to meet you. With coaching basketball, and a 60 acre parcel to cruise, I ran out of time. Might visit Paul and tell myself its Florida...yeah...maybe...

Thanks! Will be a fun time like last year!!

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I've thought about a grinding wheel outboard.... where the hand wheel usually is, could leave it installed there, anyone try this? I have a regular grinder, but I keep it in the next room, so walking back and forth to touch-up is a pain sometimes....

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I've thought about a grinding wheel outboard.... where the hand wheel usually is, could leave it installed there, anyone try this? I have a regular grinder, but I keep it in the next room, so walking back and forth to touch-up is a pain sometimes....
That's a great idea! I don't see why it couldn't be done. Just don't forget about it and try and slow the spindle to a stop, that might remove your fingerprints,:sarcastic:

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert

Nova makes one but it only fits Nova lathes

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
My friend Bob had a grinding wheel where the hand wheel goes. It worked well with his floor stand for mower blades, axes and so forth, but he said he still needed to use the grinder to sharpen lathe tools. Reason being that the grinder table vibrated in syncopation with the grinder, but the lathe rhythm was a different feel than the floor stand. Most of the time he had his leather burnishing wheel on the end. Now he free handed lathe tools on that and never had issue using it like the stock hand wheel.

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Here ya go!! Grinder on lathe! This 8" wheel was worn down to 6". I keep it in my demonstration travel case so I always have a grinder with me.
Oneway Wolverine grinding system is shown. I usually just freehand grind at demo's using lathe tool rest. A rag over lathe bed keeps it free of grit.
Grinder on lathe1.png
Grinder on lathe2.png
I marked wood holder & wheel after truing the wheel so it always goes on in the same spot.
Grinder on lathe3.png Grinder on lathe5.png

Grinder on lathe4.png

Last edited:

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Wood block on faceplate, tenon made to fit grinding wheel snugly over & tenon on wood piece for live center to hold in place.
Oneway holder has a "c" channel screwed on at 90* on bottom. This "c" channel fits tightly between a 10" Jet mini lathe bed ways. Threaded knob & cross pivot to hold under lathe bed ways. This will attach to lathes with wider a bed way if pushed against one edge then tightening.

On a 10" lathe the wheel can only be 6 7/8" diameter or it will not fit over Oneway holder.
On larger swing lathes you need to make a wood platform to raise the Oneway holder since it is to be mounted 6 1/4" to 6 3/4" below wheel center. The draw back of this set up is you must remove your work to sharpen your tools, but that is easy to to.

Lee Sky - super genius!!! :good2::lol2:

Grinder on lathe6.png Grinder on lathe7.png
Grinder on lathe8.png Grinder on lathe9.png
Grinder on lathe10.png

Last edited:

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Another mounting option sold at Woodturningwonders . #2 morse taper mandrel to mount grinding wheel. Just under $40

2-lathe-mandrels_medium.jpg