Live Oak bowl - chapter 2.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Well after I got over the event— I thought in my sleep last night ( I do that a lot) and formulated a plan.
Decided to use elastic to hold things in place—have used that many times for chair repairs. Added a couple of clamps to keep it pulled together, and used the lathe chuck since the tenon was untouched. Lots easier to hold in position this way.
Think it’s gonna work the edges all match up—— and even!
Felt like I oughta include some gapping flashing electrodes—-a la “Young Frankenstein”…..
The elastic worked nicely, waaaaay safer than bunji cords.

9B97A674-8539-41F2-AFEA-3F7DE71D1CD5.jpeg

569CF5DF-8BDA-4A24-97A7-01A158141442.jpeg

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Now that is something you don't see everyday, a pipe clamp anchored to the headstock! Odd looking mishmash of work holding apparatuses but looks like it is working. Hopefully you can finish without anymore surprises.

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, its set up over 24 hrs!
I took off all the extra stuff, & off the chuck. Seem really well fixed. There were a few places that didn’t fill, so they got gel Glue and turquoise. All in all —- happy!
After sets will start sanding— will be the time monster since I’m not wanting to use my scrapers.

27E81881-3E2A-4ADC-99CF-A48829573CE1.jpeg

92CAD599-1A29-4A45-ABB7-DC40C2829AD5.jpeg

496489B2-4AEE-46A8-BD04-FD89DB440B68.jpeg

ACF6DFCB-6F59-43FE-A89D-5A33ED2E410F.jpeg

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Gonna be good looking David. You’re going to have to get a part interest in a turquoise mine tho. Folks who have not turned live oak can’t appreciate how dang hard it can be. Keep us posted. Jim

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I’m thinking not. It’s really solid & hard, nonporous, probably not practical either because of size. Good thought though.
Wasn't thinking of it as a wood hardener, but as a filler to seep into cracks and act as a binder.

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
I think oooooo—,ahhhhh are the best adjectives….
did a lot of sanding and some other work with a high speed rasp to smooth out some tool marks. It!s being partly launched did result in some marks along the upper inside near rim. ( I know the repair is good… just don’t want to challenge fate or my nemesis Murphy by using scrapers, et
Curiosity got best of me, so I mixed up some of my finish sealer that makes the grain POP!
Rest of the coats will be poly—- once I get the bottom prepared.

F87CA3C2-E7F6-4C3C-840B-BE9FA9D57845.jpeg

C2164DCD-01C7-41D2-A3E5-318CFCC4A7C6.jpeg

78DDB5E1-28EC-4358-9DA7-6D4A09EBB3DB.jpeg

9D482167-0A16-4608-A8EB-6CBCC74DF889.jpeg

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
I think oooooo—,ahhhhh are the best adjectives….
did a lot of sanding and some other work with a high speed rasp to smooth out some tool marks. It!s being partly launched did result in some marks along the upper inside near rim. ( I know the repair is good… just don’t want to challenge fate or my nemesis Murphy by using scrapers, et
Curiosity got best of me, so I mixed up some of my finish sealer that makes the grain POP!
Rest of the coats will be poly—- once I get the bottom prepare
David - you mention a high-speed rasp to smooth out tool marks. I've never heard of that being used with a bowl turned on the lathe. Assuming folks might use something like that when hand carving. Just asking, but does it leave a smoother surface than you get with your gouges?

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
David - you mention a high-speed rasp to smooth out tool marks. I've never heard of that being used with a bowl turned on the lathe. Assuming folks might use something like that when hand carving. Just asking, but does it leave a smoother surface than you get with your gouges?
Smoother than I expected. I held it on the tool rest and set the lathe to verrrrry slow. Didn’t get it all, but good enuff. Now it’s all character.
Y’all have no idea how tempting it was to fire it up and go at it with scrapers.