Lucky With Firesticks . . .

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
After losing my 10, maybe my luck is turning. A couple weeks ago I ran across a Ruger 10/22 in an auction that looked real nice (but had a BIN price I couldn't resist). I could tell it was older, but in my excitement of the price I failed to run the serial number before buying it. Well I finally picked it up yesterday and ran the serial number when I got home . . . . it is 95xxx

When I was still at the shop the FFL (shop owner) looked at me and said "Tell them what you paid for it." There was two employees behind the counter and several customers in the store. I deadpanned "$190" and let go with a sly grin. Ooh's, ah's, damn's, and who doggies were heard murmured by the small posse of rednecks. This redneck was happy too.

The dealer asked rhetorically "I guess you wouldn't be interested in turning it right now would you?" I answered rhetorically "Do I look hungry?" :sarcastic:

He said he's never had a non-dash 10/22 in his shop. A 5 digit 10/22 is hard to come by, and I came by this one completely by luck of the Irish. I ALWAYS look at a serial number before buying any gun and the one time I did not, I got a hard-to-find early make jewel. This one was manufactured in 1966. I'll post pics tomorrow. The stock has been refinished unfortunately, but there's no dings on it that I have seen so far - it looks like it has barely ever been used. The bluing is 95% and is original. It also has what looks possibly like the original sling - I don't really know my way around 10/22's much so maybe someone with more knowledge of them can look at it and tell me if it's the original or an after market.

The only downside is it didn't have the original mag - or any mag - so I have to locate an original magazine somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard, but I need to find out what exact magazine came with the gun in 1966. A 10 round rotary I believe but there are small differences among the various issues over the years - I think. I did buy a couple of new high capacity magazines for it before it arrived and its a blast to shoot.

I guess sometimes you have to lose a gun to get your firearm juju turned back around in your favor. Any 10/22 owners out there? I'm sure there's many .22 owners but I'd like to hear specifically from 10/22 guys - 10/22's have sort of a cult following it looks like.

:goodluck:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I got a 10/22, she's a hoot to shoot! Yup a 10 shot rotary mag, I have some after market 25 round clips for it but they don't always work as well as the factory 10 rounder. I think I bought mine in the early 80's I don't know much about the older ones, but I know with a scope on them they are accurate and fun to shoot. The gun just flat out works. I think when I bought mine it was around a hundred bucks.

rdnkmedic

WB Addict
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I've got one too. Actually my second one. First one was stolen. Bastards. Greatest shooting little plinker around. Mine is not old. Maybe 10-12 years. The morons that stole the first one left me the original 10 round rotary mag so I have two of those. Also have several hi-cap mags. All loaded and ready to go. Melanie loves to shoot it. I have a 4 power scope on it and it is dead on. Mine has killed a bunch of squirrels. Great gun, fun to shoot and it works all the time. I don't recall ever having it jam. Awesome little gun to teach kids to shoot with. Light, well balanced and easy shooting. Great find, Kevin.

HomeBody

Reaction score
First name
Gary
Find a die hard Ruger collector. He'd probably trade you 2 brand new 10/22's for that low serial number. You could get one of the new take-down 10/22's in stainless. Keep it nice and it will always be good trading material. Gary

Darkmoorwoods

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Have 2, one from the early runs (60s or 70s) and a newer silver one.. both tricked out with butler creek folders, clerke heavy barrels, volquartsen trigger groups, exact edge extractors, red dot sights, etc..

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm surprised you don't know what year your older one is. I've never heard a gun nut say something like "60s or 70s" unless it's apiece that cannot be nailed down more than that. But the 10/22 serial number tells you the exact year, and if you call Ruger they can usually tell you the month or even the day.

And what's the "etc." part of your mods? That's usually the most interesting.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
First name
james
I've got a 1980's ruger 22 that's rusted with a 180mm scope on it, I can see 271 miles away with it and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn..... the stock broke off of it and I taped a broomstick to it for the buttstock....

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
jimmyjames said:
I've got a 1980's ruger 22 that's rusted with a 180mm scope on it, I can see 271 miles away with it and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn..... the stock broke off of it and I taped a broomstick to it for the buttstock....

I gotta see this...:no dice. more please:

Darkmoorwoods

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Kevin said:
I'm surprised you don't know what year your older one is. I've never heard a gun nut say something like "60s or 70s" unless it's apiece that cannot be nailed down more than that. But the 10/22 serial number tells you the exact year, and if you call Ruger they can usually tell you the month or even the day.

And what's the "etc." part of your mods? That's usually the most interesting.

Never looked it up.. bought it in 1981 for 50 bucks. etc in this case would be lots of 25 rd BC mags, 50 rd wind up "drums" and slings

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I for one....know all the years of production on all my firearms. JIC one is worth money should I want to sell it.

Darkmoorwoods

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I have only sold one firearm in the last 25 years, to a good friend and neighbor for a song. The only other one I ever sold, long ago, was used by a depressed fellow to commit suicide, that kinda ended it for me

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Yikes! Sorry to hear about that.