Male & Female

chatometry

Member
Full Member
Messages
784
Reaction score
1,432
Location
Italy
First name
Paolo
Was there any discussion about wood properties for male and female individuals?
I've seen male and female rhamnus trees and I wonder if there is any kind of difference in the wood.
Thanks!
Paolo
 
Was there any discussion about wood properties for male and female individuals?
I've seen male and female rhamnus trees and I wonder if there is any kind of difference in the wood.
Thanks!
Paolo
For rhamnus cathartica the main difference is knot holes (for some reason female trees have more spines IN MY EXPERIENCE) they also have a higher burl density. As the tree doesn’t get very large, the burls don’t either but they are amazing.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
Thank you. I will pay attention to these details.
 
For rhamnus cathartica the main difference is knot holes (for some reason female trees have more spines IN MY EXPERIENCE) they also have a higher burl density. As the tree doesn’t get very large, the burls don’t either but they are amazing.
I was not aware these details. However, here, we don't have a good cross section of the species, just those that escaped from cultivation. Our R. cathartica get 15' to 35' feet tall and often reach 10"-14" DBH.

I know we studied Gingko wood in school from both male and female trees and found the wood to be identical down to our 100x scopes. We did not do spectural analysis or DNA work.

We looked at some sterile Sweet gum tree wood as well as sterile hybrid chestnut wood and also found nothing different with the wood from regular reproducing trees of the same species.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
Thank you. I will pay attention to these details.
I did pay attention to the details, but then I forgot to mention it. I have seen knot holes in all females but also on some males.
So I cannot draw a conclusion :(
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
I was not aware these details. However, here, we don't have a good cross section of the species, just those that escaped from cultivation. Our R. cathartica get 15' to 35' feet tall and often reach 10"-14" DBH.

I know we studied Gingko wood in school from both male and female trees and found the wood to be identical down to our 100x scopes. We did not do spectural analysis or DNA work.

We looked at some sterile Sweet gum tree wood as well as sterile hybrid chestnut wood and also found nothing different with the wood from regular reproducing trees of the same species.
Thank you, very interesting!
I didn't know gymnosperms can have male and female!
 
Look up female Gingko and try to find one locally. They are fruiting the next few weeks. The stink will be a memory hard to forget.
There was a street near me where I grew up lined with ginkgo trees. About half were female. It was perfumed with what I would call a hog lot.
 
There's a guy on Facebook marketplace right now selling pieces of what he says is female pistachio wood. He specifically notes that the female tree has better colors, but I have no clue if thats true. The photos he's posted are a little suspect for pistachio. I tried to get him to sand up the end grain and send clear photos of that, but he just sent fuzzy photos of the same rough cut end grain.
 
There's a guy on Facebook marketplace right now selling pieces of what he says is female pistachio wood. He specifically notes that the female tree has better colors, but I have no clue if thats true. The photos he's posted are a little suspect for pistachio. I tried to get him to sand up the end grain and send clear photos of that, but he just sent fuzzy photos of the same rough cut end grain.
Maybe a few of your Facebook friends can send him similar messages and influence action.
 
You all are my only wood friends. All my friends here and on Facebook think I'm a wood dork 😂
No, no, no, you are a wood enthuesiest. Wood nut is on the horizon. Wood dork comes years down the road.

I'm not on Facebook, so can't ask or pester the guy.
 
Back
Top