Maple Burl

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
A few months ago I found a tree in the woods with this guy on it and I had to cut it down. It's been drying sealed since then and yesterday I decided to split it down the middle so when I get back to school I can turn it. On the second pic the far left and far right are just touching the edge of where the burl is and it appears like there will be some decent figure! I know this isn't too exciting in comparison for most of you but burls are scarce where I live so I'm excited just to be able to find anything!

[attachment=8148]

[attachment=8149]

DSCN0180.JPG

DSCN0181.JPG

BurlsorBust

Reaction score
First name
Eric
Congrats on the find! Judging by the outside bark, you will have some really great figure with many eyes inside to greet you! :treehugger: There are few burls you can buy that can top the satisfaction of what you find yourself!

Enjoy!!!

cabomhn

Reaction score
First name
Matt
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! I do have one quick question, would it be better to try and take some of this bark off before turning this? I've never turned anything with the bark still on. If so, how do I get it off? :i_dunno:

BurlsorBust

Reaction score
First name
Eric
cabomhn said:
Thanks! I do have one quick question, would it be better to try and take some of this bark off before turning this? I've never turned anything with the bark still on. If so, how do I get it off? :i_dunno:

Not much of a turner myself, but I would leave it on. If you plan out what kind of shape you are doing, a natural edge can look exceptional in my opinion if captured just right. If you want it off, just use a hand chisel or something else with a rigid blade and pry it off piece by piece.

Good luck!