Memphis

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
My wife are getting ready to head to Memphis. Anybody know of any good places close to there to pick up some different woods or a place for woodworking tools?

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now I think we are heading to Memphis for a couple of days and then heading up to St. Louis for a couple of days then coming back home.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Eric,

There's a locally owned WoodWork Shop store (Rockler Partner) in the Memphis area: www.thewoodworkshopinc.com. I don't buy much wood from them because I have too much wood already from salvaging local trees after storms and such.

Talking about storms. A strong wind storm came through Memphis recently which took down many trees and knocked out the power for 140,000 people. I'm heading back into Memphis tonight for another trailer load of cherry. Just last night my daughter told me about sycamore and popular tree that's waiting for the city (or woodworker) to come pick up. Great times for someone with a truck/trailer and chainsaw.

PM me your cell#/intenerary and I'll keep an eye out for wood.

-Karl

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Karl. We're leaving sometime Saturday morning and be there in about 10 hours. We'll be in my wife's car so I'm not going to have room for wood. That really sucks too I appreciate the offer. I'll have to check out the store though.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Eric, I'm pretty sure your wife's car has enough room to stash a few turning blanks. I don't mind sharing some wood blanks with a fellow WB member. Although, I suspect Memphis has the same type of hardwood trees as your area (cedar, maple, cherry, oak, sycamore, sweetgum, walnut, pecan, popular etc..). Just not much in the way of burls around here.