Microlam bowl

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Full Member
Messages
6,254
Reaction score
10,691
Location
Lake Park, GA
First name
Tim
hey all, been tied up with lots of activity while our house gets built, so not much time on forums except those to do with finding fixtures, tubs, lights and such.
I’d been wanting to try turning this stuff for s while, plenty of scrap pieces available while framing going on.
Splintery, soft, inconsistent...yep. All that being said, wasn’t really difficult turning and result is interesting. Whadaya think?
9” diam, couple coats of shellac.
I’ll probsbly do another, but less curve and smaller base.
B09C1D61-4498-432C-8306-8A0B0E45A5BB.webp 290E60EB-0719-4FD8-8B18-AB3589415604.webp E00E0103-E2B5-404E-837E-17C26A7CBB90.webp
 
I like it! Be careful I've heard of those exploding on some folks when turning.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5
I like it! Be careful I've heard of those exploding on some folks when turning.
Good advice for all! I turn down my speed to about 600 rpm and keep my tools extra sharp when on shaky ground!
 
I also like the idea of using what is available and experimenting! Stain, paint, there are so many possibilities and with the different layers it will all look different. Play, what great practice and skill building.
 
Looks cool! Is the material for structural beams? I like stuff off the beaten path like that.... I think you could have fun using dyes on those.... I recently tried laminating some layers of baltic birch and turned a sphere to add to my sphere collection, worked pretty slick.....
20180226_072123.webp
 
Back
Top