Moisture meter

fredito

Reaction score
First name
Fred
I find myself in need of a moisture meter. I know a lot of guys recommend the Wagner but there are not any locally and the nearest lowes is 1.5 hours away. I found this one on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R0WRBO4/ref=s9_newr_hm_b2Jvi_g469_i1
Seems to have more features then the $17 one I was looking at also on amazon, mainly the surface read. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this one? This is about my price range for a meter at this point in time.
Thanks

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have the same as Doc's . I was smart and bought a cheaper one first. It was great except for you had to take the battery out to keep it from sucking the juice out. I am on my first battery in the general- 3 yrs.............

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
It's unanimous! Go with the one Doc posted the link for. It's the same one I use.

fredito

Reaction score
First name
Fred
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, looks pretty unanimous to me as well!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Most certainly unanimous...I actually just bought that one last week!!!

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Thanks folks -- I've had a meter on my wish-list for a while but never got around to doing anything about it ... perfect timing as I have an Amazon gift card to cover it :cool:

fredito

Reaction score
First name
Fred
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the responses. Do you guys find the pins pretty durable on this one? And how do you get them in a really hard wood? I mostly need readings in mountain mahogany which has a janka really close to DIW

JR Custom Calls

Gobble Gobble
Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I generally go somewhere in the middle. Whichever ends up being best. I guess it doesn't matter, but I always like to think the ends are drier than the middle.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Same one here as everyone else above. Have had it for about 6 weeks now - was a very worthwhile purchase!

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I have the pin model too. Use to think that moisture was a big deal.
Have to say though--when I have a piece of wood and I feel like turning it, moisture isn't going to stop me. If it moves/warps-- it just does.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
My meter arrived from Amazon -- the General Tools & Instruments one as recommended. As usual, I followed the "ready, shoot, aim" protocol -- I have no idea how to interpret the numbers it's giving me.

I've stabbed the pins into a few pieces of wood to see what happens, and it's registered from 0% to 15%. (Zero? Really? Any idea how that can happen when the air it's sitting in has some moisture content?)

How would you interpret these numbers? Is there a percentage that you consider to be "dry"?

Thanks!

thrainson

Reaction score
First name
joseph
So when you insert the little prongs into your wood the unit sends a small electrical current through them. And depending on the resistance gives you the percentage of moisture. The basics is that water conducts electricity, air and wood don't. So as long there is water in the wood you will get higher then 0%. In my opinion 6 - 10 percent water is considered dry. Hope this helps.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I know the principle behind these meters, my confusion stems from the fact that it read the moisture content as zero. Isn't there always going to be some residual moisture in wood that hasn't been kiln dried (because the air it's sitting in has non-zero moisture content)?

Anyway, I'll follow your lead and say that a "single digit" readout qualifies as "dry". Thanks!

thrainson

Reaction score
First name
joseph
My understanding is that when they calibrate those things they do so at about 22% air moisture. So they really aren't 100% accurate.