Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
@lvstealth
I believe the picture up top was a close up Paul, higher mag, so yes, those rays were clearly visible, so walnut was out for me too. Once again, is this pallet wood? If so, country of origin is a very big help. When the world market has nearly 10,000 tree species covered in the commercial and craft trade, knowing origin can surely help.
Judging from the size of the yearly rings I estimate the two pics to have roughly the same magnification, so I have to disagree on that. Lisa, what say you?

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Maybe, on my screen the first picture has growth rings 5/8 to 3/4" inch. On the second they are 1/4-1/2" inch so clearly smaller. Off to lunch, be back tomorrow...

lvstealth

Reaction score
First name
Lisa
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
well... after i did a whole lot of pallet disassembly, i started noticing some woods that felt distinctly different from the norm. i set these aside. i built with other things till i got a bit more comfortable using tools in general. i am new to all but a hammer. i have never even hung a picture or built a birdhouse.

so, now i have started cleaning up that wood. i am not sure what country. from when you said that before, i have taken pics and made notes and started a spreadsheet of where and what each pallet came from (both location i got it, and pallet codes). im sorry to say, this piece is from the tile place, but no idea what country. could be mexico, i took several apart from mexico in the beginning. this piece was warped, so cleaning it up was not high on the list. then one day i sanded the crud off and thought, wow! that is pretty!

there is only one piece of this, which is odd... there are 2, 3 or even 4 stringers on a pallet. this, in many i have taken apart, means it was repaired along the way, so could have been repaired in a totally different country, with just about anything.

sorry, i cant tell you more about the country of origin for the pallet.

lvstealth

Reaction score
First name
Lisa
i will take another picture,
this is an inch from corner to corner...
ww eg 13th.jpg
this is a little closer and a different spot, i turned up the contrast on this one. so the color is a bit vibrant. i posted the stock one too. i just thought there might be more detail available with the contrast up.
ww eg 13th 2.jpg
ww eg 2 b.jpg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
AAAKK ... now the rays are back. You're going to have to send me a piece of this one for sure.

lvstealth

Reaction score
First name
Lisa
oh? hmmm... i have some that is poplar, and it is not like this. but who knows!

bamafatboy

Reaction score
First name
keith
Hi Lisa, and welcome to WB, this piece in question could be either mahogany, or a rosewood, judging from the end grain it could be either, the end grain looks like Mexican rosewood, I just finished turning a small bowl for a piece of mahogany and it had a red tint to it, however I have also turned rosewood that looked very similar to the end grain of the piece in the pic. This is just my observation, could be off. Any way it should make for an interesting wood to turn.