More wood that doesn’t belong on a burn pile…SOLD

  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #21
A collector friend of mine from Singapore recently bought some while on a trip (don't remember where), and he paid a crazy amount of money for it.
Yep. It’s really insane how much they sell it for. Especially to tourist.
 
Round 7: this is the top of a driftwood Hinoki stump…I believe. I’ve never seen grain so fine, coloration, streaking or smell like this piece. Must be a stump thing. It isn’t really 100% similar to other Hinoki I’ve worked with. The wood was still quite wet in the center. I’m guessing it was waterlogged for some time. There is some checking that I tried to cut beyond without wasting too much of it and this is what I was left with. Sealed all checks with CA glue and sealed the whole piece in polyurethane. It’ll need some time to season and will likely check more during this stage. It’s worth noting that this wood darkens in color significantly when sealed. Smell is incredible. Asking a meager 40$ plus shipping. 22~26cmx18~20x12.5~14

View attachment 293784 View attachment 293785 View attachment 293786 View attachment 293787 View attachment 293788 View attachment 293789 View attachment 293790 View attachment 293791 View attachment 293792 View attachment 293793
Reminds me a lot of formosan cypress and Japanese false cypress.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #23
Reminds me a lot of formosan cypress and Japanese false cypress.
I was having a ChatGPT chat last night and we were going through all the cypress and related species and trying to match the wood. It seemed like even Chat was confused as to how the terms were being used in reference to actual wood. I believe you are right and this is Formosan False Cypress. We call it Red Hinoki. The coloration is still quite darker and more auburn than I’ve ever seen. Again, maybe a stump thing. The rings are also incredibly fine and that may have something to do with the perception of the color.
 
I was having a ChatGPT chat last night and we were going through all the cypress and related species and trying to match the wood. It seemed like even Chat was confused as to how the terms were being used in reference to actual wood. I believe you are right and this is Formosan False Cypress. We call it Red Hinoki. The coloration is still quite darker and more auburn than I’ve ever seen. Again, maybe a stump thing. The rings are also incredibly fine and that may have something to do with the perception of the color.
Chatgpt is woefully useless when it comes to wood identification
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #25
Chatgpt is woefully useless when it comes to wood identification
It’s helped me sort through available species present. It isn’t good for in depth analysis, but it helps a lot for getting leads and a general direction. That’s normally my primary struggle with whatever kind of research I am doing.
 
Please give me a chance to get this hinoki stump wood. I don't know what local prices would be but I would probably be willing to match it.
 
It’s helped me sort through available species present. It isn’t good for in depth analysis, but it helps a lot for getting leads and a general direction. That’s normally my primary struggle with whatever kind of research I am doing.
The issue with these AI engines is that they will confidently give you the wrong answer. It depends on the topic of course. Some topics it does a very good job with. But with wood identification, Ive found that its absurdly incorrect. It'll rattle off a bunch of stats about a species (janka hardness, density, pore details, color, etc) and provide references for the data, but if you go follow the links provided you don't find the information AI provided anywhere. It will seemingly just make up a janka hardness for species that have never even been evaluated for Janka hardness. That's my big issue with it - it looks good on the surface, but its all nonsense fabricated numbers. My experience with is trying to identify based on photos has been equally bad. Its just like all the people in the Wood ID groups on facebook who think any dark wood is walnut, wenge, or palm.
 
The issue with these AI engines is that they will confidently give you the wrong answer. It depends on the topic of course. Some topics it does a very good job with. But with wood identification, Ive found that its absurdly incorrect. It'll rattle off a bunch of stats about a species (janka hardness, density, pore details, color, etc) and provide references for the data, but if you go follow the links provided you don't find the information AI provided anywhere. It will seemingly just make up a janka hardness for species that have never even been evaluated for Janka hardness. That's my big issue with it - it looks good on the surface, but its all nonsense fabricated numbers. My experience with is trying to identify based on photos has been equally bad. Its just like all the people in the Wood ID groups on facebook who think any dark wood is walnut, wenge, or palm.
That’s correct. You need to ask it if it’s sure the answer is correct. Often it will say you are correct to question the answer and that it’s not correct.
 
I have just the same problems with AI. At work, everyone is talking about AI and it has its uses but I’m not willing to replace my finance department with a chatbot that makes up numbers (as some of my colleagues have suggested)
 
Please give me a chance to get this hinoki stump wood. I don't know what local prices would be but I would probably be willing to match it.
Kevin got it already. Then Alan is in line. You probably already know that WB is first come first serve. I’m willing to bet that even if Kevin passes, Alan will sink his teeth into it and not let it go. Chances are slim.
 
Kevin got it already. Then Alan is in line. You probably already know that WB is first come first serve. I’m willing to bet that even if Kevin passes, Alan will sink his teeth into it and not let it go. Chances are slim.
I think he may have been asking to buy the rest of it that the OP was planning on selling locally.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #35
I was referring to the piece he planned to sell locally.
I’m going to try and drop by the mill in the next few weeks to get some stuff cut…and see what they’re throwing out. They always have cool cut offs lying around. I’ll tag you if it winds up I can’t get slabs out of it and need to cut smaller pieces like the one above. If I can get slabs, I will not sell them internationally. I do have a smaller yellow Hinoki stump I’m going to clean up soon and see what she looks like inside as well as some very nice Coffinwood. Keep your notifications on!
 
The issue with these AI engines is that they will confidently give you the wrong answer. It depends on the topic of course. Some topics it does a very good job with. But with wood identification, Ive found that its absurdly incorrect. It'll rattle off a bunch of stats about a species (janka hardness, density, pore details, color, etc) and provide references for the data, but if you go follow the links provided you don't find the information AI provided anywhere. It will seemingly just make up a janka hardness for species that have never even been evaluated for Janka hardness. That's my big issue with it - it looks good on the surface, but its all nonsense fabricated numbers. My experience with is trying to identify based on photos has been equally bad. Its just like all the people in the Wood ID groups on facebook who think any dark wood is walnut, wenge, or palm.
Not sure if ai is involved but sure it can be later on....last night on the web pop-up news flashes, was a tree ID quiz based on leaves. Well, I caved and thought why not. One of the first pictures looked very much like Chinese chestnut. They had it as American. They give clues and the clues they had were for American. No big deal. Went several more trees and they show a tree that looks very much like Western hemlock, they had it as Eastern hemlock and showed a second picture of a weeping hemlock, that is almost never found in the wild. Few slides later they show a canaan fir and call it Balsam. The 'quiz' ends with clues for American paper birch and they show European silver birch leaves.

That is the stuff that sucks because ai picks that up as do others and misuse the wrong information they were fed.
 
Not sure if ai is involved but sure it can be later on....last night on the web pop-up news flashes, was a tree ID quiz based on leaves. Well, I caved and thought why not. One of the first pictures looked very much like Chinese chestnut. They had it as American. They give clues and the clues they had were for American. No big deal. Went several more trees and they show a tree that looks very much like Western hemlock, they had it as Eastern hemlock and showed a second picture of a weeping hemlock, that is almost never found in the wild. Few slides later they show a canaan fir and call it Balsam. The 'quiz' ends with clues for American paper birch and they show European silver birch leaves.

That is the stuff that sucks because ai picks that up as do others and misuse the wrong information they were fed.
Yeah, I have on many occasions linked in incorrect material spec back to a similar wood (same genus, similar common name, etc). And outside of AI in general google searching, I can't even tell you how many times Ive pulled up a forum post or facebook group post of someone trying to identify a species and others just throwing out random names...those names then get attached to the picture in future searches. Ive even found this occurring with my own wood ID posts that come up in google searches lol Without a doubt, facebook groups are the absolute worst culprits. They are wrought with overly confident fools calling everything walnut, palm, and wenge :banghead:
 
Back
Top