More wood that doesn’t belong on a burn pile…

Byron Barker

Member
Full Member
Messages
1,213
Reaction score
1,738
Location
Hualien Taiwan
First name
Byron
Round 7: this is the top of a driftwood Hinoki stump…I believe. I’ve never seen grain so fine, coloration, streaking or smell like this piece. Must be a stump thing. It isn’t really 100% similar to other Hinoki I’ve worked with. The wood was still quite wet in the center. I’m guessing it was waterlogged for some time. There is some checking that I tried to cut beyond without wasting too much of it and this is what I was left with. Sealed all checks with CA glue and sealed the whole piece in polyurethane. It’ll need some time to season and will likely check more during this stage. It’s worth noting that this wood darkens in color significantly when sealed. Smell is incredible. Asking a meager 40$ plus shipping. 22~26cmx18~20x12.5~14

IMG_7026.webp IMG_7024.webp IMG_7027.webp IMG_7028.webp IMG_7029.webp IMG_7030.webp IMG_7031.webp IMG_7032.webp IMG_7033.webp IMG_7025.webp
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3
By the way, this wood sells for FAR more locally. I am saving the stump for local sale since most of the figure is in the stump. I uploaded pictures of the piece into Chat after telling it the species and size, and it was valued at 150-350$. No joke. That’s how much pieces sell for locally if the grain is unique.

IMG_7039.webp
 
Hi Byron, that piece is beautiful! I can see the nice figure of it and it’s a healthy size. I want to mention again I think it’s just really great how you’re sharing the beautiful woods of Taiwan with all of us here on Woodbarter. … especially given what you could get for them there.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Hi Byron, that piece is beautiful! I can see the nice figure of it and it’s a healthy size. I want to mention again I think it’s just really great how you’re sharing the beautiful woods of Taiwan with all of us here on Woodbarter. … especially given what you could get for them there.
Glad people are liking them! The only wood people seem to want to buy here locally are Hinoki, incense cedar, agar wood and cow camphor…basically anything that smells good. Prices here are outrageous for this sort of wood, but people almost entirely overlook loads of other far more beautiful local woods…that don’t smell good. It’s a weird standard.
 
Glad people are liking them! The only wood people seem to want to buy here locally are Hinoki, incense cedar, agar wood and cow camphor…basically anything that smells good. Prices here are outrageous for this sort of wood, but people almost entirely overlook loads of other far more beautiful local woods…that don’t smell good. It’s a weird standard.
Can you get real Agar wood?
 
Back
Top