My first end grain cutting board

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Planning end grain is a no no in my opinion. Its dangerous to do and can damage smaller benchtop planers if you get kick back. I always take the safe way and run them through a drum sander. You can also use a belt sander, much safer than trying to run em through a planner.
Good to know. I’ve done it a bunch without a problem but it only takes one kickback to change that.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Good to know. I’ve done it a bunch without a problem but it only takes one kickback to change that.
Some guys do it, adding sacrificial boards and taking very light cuts etc. But 45 years ago when I was a kid in school shop class it was always thought to us that you never plane or joint end grain. So I just never do it. Not worth the risk imo.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Some guys do it, adding sacrificial boards and taking very light cuts etc. But 45 years ago when I was a kid in school shop class it was always thought to us that you never plane or joint end grain. So I just never do it. Not worth the risk imo.
I agree with you Greg. When I made my first one several years ago I was surprised to see the videos of guys running them through the planer. I don’t recall them warning us about potential kickbacks but they did talk about significant blade life reduction.
I guess I need to get a drum sander. Have to talk to the wife. Lol.
Thanks for your response.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Oh and that’s funny about the school thing. 40 years ago when cypress slab clocks were popular I watched a guy run one through the planer. It threw bits and pieces everywhere. That’s the first thing I thought of when I watched the video of end grain planing.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Just wondering. Do any of you end grain cutting board makers run your boards through the plainer? I add a sacrificial piece to the tail end of my cutting boards and run them through the plainer. I take minuscule cuts during each pass and the trim off the sacrificial end board. Obviously I do not own a drum sander. Lol
Ditto!!

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I guess I won’t need to use the planer for my end grain cutting boards anymore. It just so happens I got that Performax 16/32 I was looking at. The lady agreed to my $300 offer. That thing was quite heavy.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Just wondering. Do any of you end grain cutting board makers run your boards through the plainer? I add a sacrificial piece to the tail end of my cutting boards and run them through the plainer. I take minuscule cuts during each pass and the trim off the sacrificial end board. Obviously I do not own a drum sander. Lol
I won’t run end grain through the planer, even though I changed the head on my Dewalt 735 from blades to carbide cutters. I use a drum sander, more control for some of the very fine adjustments.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I guess I won’t need to use the planer for my end grain cutting boards anymore. It just so happens I got that Performax 16/32 I was looking at. The lady agreed to my $300 offer. That thing was quite heavy.
That’s a great price for that machine. You will like working with it. Might take a little longer than a planer on end grain projects but much safer.

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
I have read that planing end grain boards is a no no, but I have made 2 boards and planed them both as I don't have a drum sander. I am not advocating this, but this is how I did it.

I took super light cuts - my steel city planer with helical cutting head takes about 1/16" per turn and I do about 1/8 of a turn, so very light.

In order to stop the tear out on the back end I used a 1/4" round over bit on all 4 edges (I was going to round it over anyway). I only tried this on the last board. I used Padauk/Padouk which I found tears easily, but I did not have any tear out on this board.

I added a pic of the board I did.

Thanks
Robert

20201017_143410.jpg

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Great looking cutting boards! Man, I wish I had a drum sander... or a friend nearby with a drum sander.