Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
LoneStar said:
Thanks guys!
You are right about the metal lathes. Not only do they hold value, but when one comes up at a decent price you better be in the truck and headed that way as soon as its posted. A good metal lathe on craigslist wont be around at the end of the day, I know that from experience.
I just bought a second lathe, an old Craftsman (Atlas) 6X18 for $250. Its a pretty small one, and not too much torque for heavy work but I couldnt pass it up for the price. My shop is 30 minutes away, I'll set this one up at the condo for small work I dont want to drive for.
That's exactly what I am looking for, something about that size. All I want it for at this time is for the wood lathe chisels that I make, but I will probably end up using it for other things also. Craigslist around me hasn't had much lately, $1000 and up, ones for less look pretty bad, I would recondition one for the right price and if I can get parts for it. I like to recondition old machines and make em look like new again. I would like to find an old atlas, logan, or southbend, but the southbends really hold their value.

LoneStar

Reaction score
First name
Ryan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
woodtickgreg said:
LoneStar said:
Thanks guys!
You are right about the metal lathes. Not only do they hold value, but when one comes up at a decent price you better be in the truck and headed that way as soon as its posted. A good metal lathe on craigslist wont be around at the end of the day, I know that from experience.
I just bought a second lathe, an old Craftsman (Atlas) 6X18 for $250. Its a pretty small one, and not too much torque for heavy work but I couldnt pass it up for the price. My shop is 30 minutes away, I'll set this one up at the condo for small work I dont want to drive for.
That's exactly what I am looking for, something about that size. All I want it for at this time is for the wood lathe chisels that I make, but I will probably end up using it for other things also. Craigslist around me hasn't had much lately, $1000 and up, ones for less look pretty bad, I would recondition one for the right price and if I can get parts for it. I like to recondition old machines and make em look like new again. I would like to find an old atlas, logan, or southbend, but the southbends really hold their value.

I'd be tempted to sell you the Craftsman, but I'm afraid I'd miss it now I made up my mind to use it at the house. Shipping would probably be as much as the lathe :sarcastic: Keep your eyes peeled and one will fall into your lap.
On this model anyway its branded Craftsman but manufactured by Atlas, you might watch for them too.