Navajo Wedding Basket Illusion

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Yep, I've started another one. A young friend is getting married in June and I decided to do an illusion piece for them. This is actually a practice piece so I can work out a couple design elements. After looking at what I've done already on this piece I have two design changes I'm going to make on their basket which will be maple. This one is black locust.

I plan to eventually finish this one, but for now I'm just doing enough to see how the design works.

This basket is the inspiration for my design. A majority of the baskets I've seen have only one red band, which typically represents major life changes, i.e. a wedding, or the birth of a child. Since my friend and his fiance had their first baby a couple months ago, I decided to do two red bands, one for the wedding and one for the baby.
I'll give an explanation of the elements and their meaning in a later post.

11154599_1.jpg

One change I've made is how I lay out the design. I don't use an index wheel, or anything else on the lathe, I've typically used a ruler and polar graph paper. That really doesn't work well on this design because of the white "open wedge" from the center to the rim. On this one I'm using a divider and pencil. The result is a much "tighter" design.

Here are a series of pictures showing my results so far. And for those who always wonder how much time it takes to make one of these, each successive picture represents an hour to hour and a half of time.

Initial layout starting with the "wedge" and coloring a few spaces red to give me a visual reference when laying out the triangles.
PXL_20240412_055631310.jpg

Finished the center elements and moving out to the middle. Although there are always exceptions to the rule, typically, repeating elements appear in odd numbers. Hence, the nine "triangles".

PXL_20240413_061207462.jpg

This shows one thing I'm going to change on the maple basket. The middle looks too much like a star, which is not the intention. I'll reduce the number of items in the middle to add more white space.

Moving to the middle, I started laying out and coloring the touching triangles. This shows another change I'll make. I think the design, and the symbolism would benefit by having a row of white separating the triangles.

PXL_20240414_052625826.jpg

PXL_20240415_055119966.jpg

Finished laying out the outer row and colored some elements.

PXL_20240416_053827320.jpg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Man, are you ever a glutton for punishment! The way the story influences the design is a real pro touch. Looking forward to seeing the final version as well as other steps.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a copy of the post I made 4 years ago in my first basket illusion thread. It describes the symbology of the colors and shapes.

Note, these baskets are made by starting with a coil of reed that starts at the center and spirals outward as it is woven into a basket. If you zoom in on the basket shown above you can see how that is done. The symbology of this basket starts at the center and follows the spiral until the outer rim of white is reached, which represents the spiritual world. It is a beautiful way to think of (illustrate) ones life journey.

One of the reasons I chose to make this basket is my friend is dyslexic. He can read and write, but it has always been difficult. He processes info differently, and I think that this visual representation will resonate with him.

Here is the post from the first one I made:

There are many different interpretations of the symbology, but in general, the center of the basket symbolizes the birth, and the gap shows the path that one takes through life, or east, or the path to light.

Here is one (of about 10 different) interpretations of the symbols:

"The Navajo Ceremonial Basket also called Navajo Wedding basket is
viewed as a map through which the Navajo chart their lives. The central
spot in the basket represents the sipapu, where the Navajo people
emerged from the prior world through a reed. The inner coils of the
basket are white to represent birth. As you travel outward on the coils
you begin to encounter more and more black. The black represents
darkness, struggle and pain. As you make your. way through the darkness you eventually reach the red bands, which represent marriage; the mixing of your blood with your spouse and creation of family. The red is pure. During this time there is no darkness. Traveling out of familial bands you encounter more darkness, however, the darkness is interspersed with white light. The light represents increasing enlightenment, which expands until you enter the all white banding of the outer rim. This banding represents the spirit world, where there is no darkness. The line from the center of the basket to the outer rim is there to remind you that no. matter how much darkness you encounter in your world, there is always a pathway to the light."

Here is a link to the PDF that the above was quoted from. Other interpretations are also summarized.

Here is a link to the text quoted above in web format.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
It probably could be done, maybe.

If I were to try that, and I'm not going to by the way, would probably do it by separating the top from the bottom. Hollow the bottom, turn the top off center in two planes, one for each spout for hollowing, and then a whole bunch of carving. I think it would be quicker for me just to learn how to spin some clay....:ponder:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Got a little more done in the last couple of days - enough to decide on changes I'm going to make on the real one. Probably not going to work on this one much right now, other than I will probably do the herringbone on the rim to practice for the "real" one.

PXL_20240420_055105701.jpg

Turned the maple one the other day. It's almost the exact diameter of the practice piece, but just slightly shorter, so I have three fewer rows of beads to work with. No big problem, easy enough to adjust slightly as needed.

PXL_20240420_060051649.jpg

After doing some sketching and figuring, I laid out the inner row.

PXL_20240421_061119308.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
In your test design, there was a single Alley in and out of the center. Will you have multiple paths with this design?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
There is still a single alley, right as 12:00 on the design. It's just a little bit wider than spacing between the other triangles. One change I made with the design is to bring the black flush with the red rings. The path from center will also be a little less wedge shaped and won't flare as much at the rim.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Here is an updated picture of the maple. You can see how I've brought the black triangles flush with the red bands. The number of triangles has stayed the same (keeping the odd number), but the space between has increased slightly.

Using dividers has been a game changer in laying out this pattern. Takes a tiny bit of trial and error to get the exact width needed, but still much more accurate than trying to use polar graph paper.

PXL_20240424_051556796.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Here's a picture of the maple and the black locust side by side. The black triangles are the same in number and size on both of them, I just shifted the ones on the maple to be flush with the red bands. The other difference is 4 red beads in each band on the locust and 3 on the maple.

PXL_20240426_021323585.jpg