never seen a shaving that thin

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
Japanese woodworkers IMO are some of the most talented out there. Their attention to detail on almost anything woodworking amazes me. How in the world do they get their irons that sharp to plane shaving so thin????? man what I would give to just sit with one of the masters for a day or week or longer lol just to learn how to get an edge that sharp!! I've always wondered why they do everything on the pull as well?? Do you have more control on the pull as a posed to the push?? I have a japanese saw which is pull stroke and cuts really well and is exceptionally sharp!! I know why they have the pull on their saws and it makes sense but not hand planes!!?? I do not own any hand planes yet. does anyone have both and can explain the difference in the way they perform?

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Its stupid how thin those shavings are haha I bet they would make excellent fire starters though

brown down

Reaction score
First name
jeff
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use my shavings all the time for fire starters! they work great! my mother and sisters love them too, a big handful and anyone can start a fire! heres another one I found of a very large hand plane. they have competitions over there. don't know how they judge them guess the thinest and most uniform shaving wins