New from NE Iowa

DWadsworth

Reaction score
First name
David
I'm a historic restoration contractor that focuses mainly on window restoration, although we restore whole homes as well. Current project is rebuilding a few of the buildings from the nearby historic Fort Atkinson, built in the 1840's.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome from Bulverde, Texas! Would love to see pics of your restoration projects, especially of the Fort Atkinson buildings. Chuck

DWadsworth

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Couple of pics of the Fort. Fascia repair and painting of the powder magazine and lintels over the door to the Blockhouse where the cannons were stationed

20240425_111104.jpg

20240425_101749.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Nice.

We have a Victorian in town from about 1870 being gutted and retro. Was a twin family house, rich folks bought it, have 2 kids and needed to add on 1,800 sq. ft. since the old house was only 2500 sq. ft. The cornices are gone, window brows and skirts gone. They cut off the scrolled rafter ends. Simply a crime in my book...

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Welcome from Crossville TN. I have worked on a few restorations. Around these parts the log cabin folks have the inside track on old timbers. I have a sawmill and have split one or two old timbers but I dont know that I have white oak stashed. We have several members who have dealt in the old timbers. If you put out a request someone is likely to be able to cut you a few pieces to your dimensions

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
There are several white oak reclaimed materials listed on facebook marketplace from the same era but most of them are about 4 to 5 hour drive from you. Some are logs and some are 2x6 lumber from dismantled houses and barns. If one of your low dollar grunts could be trusted to pick out what you need, the easiest might be to pay one of them to.drive and get the pieces you need. Because by the time you ship enough hewn edge material to rebuild the windows and door frame and such like, you will have quite the freight bill.

DWadsworth

Reaction score
First name
David
Nice.

We have a Victorian in town from about 1870 being gutted and retro. Was a twin family house, rich folks bought it, have 2 kids and needed to add on 1,800 sq. ft. since the old house was only 2500 sq. ft. The cornices are gone, window brows and skirts gone. They cut off the scrolled rafter ends. Simply a crime in my book...
That's really a shame. If you don't want an old house, don't buy an old house.

DWadsworth

Reaction score
First name
David
Welcome from Crossville TN. I have worked on a few restorations. Around these parts the log cabin folks have the inside track on old timbers. I have a sawmill and have split one or two old timbers but I dont know that I have white oak stashed. We have several members who have dealt in the old timbers. If you put out a request someone is likely to be able to cut you a few pieces to your dimensions
Thanks! I have a call into a local Mill to see if he's got any white oak lying around. Most of it goes into fence posts around here.