New guy here!

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
Hello everyone! The names Zack. I got into turning about a year ago when I bought a cheap HF 10x18 lathe. Broke it the 3rd use. Then I went and bought a laguna 1216 and love it. I turn mostly during the colder months when there isn’t stuff to do outside. I’m trying to learn other woodworking things as well. Still have a pretty limited shop, no tablesaw and no 14” bandsaw yet, but I make due with what I have. I’m here to learn from other turners and woodworkers, and hopefully show off a few of the things I’ve made and probably purchase some wood as well. I have a 2 year old boy and one on the way, married, have a dog, a house, work a lot, etc. that’s all about me! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your forum and happy holidays!

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Welcome aboard Zack. Show us some pics of your favorite turnings :foto:

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Welcome from Tennessee. You'll find lots of pics to browse on the site. There are woodworkers at all levels here so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Last edited:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Welcome to the mix Zach. I had the honor of standing with one leg on the west side and one on the east side of the Hudson river. Of coarse, can only do it with one branch. Enjoy.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the warm welcomes!!!

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Welcome from minnesota,your about to fall down the rabbit hole known as woodbarter!! Enjoy the ride!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Zack, welcome to the club....

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome from California! What wood species do you like to work with? Chuck

I was picking up random small logs off my delivery route in Connecticut. Some were cedar and aromatic cedar, and the other ones usually cracked really bad when I started turning them so I tossed them. I was afraid of a terrible catch. I’ve actually had problems getting useable wood by me (In NY). I found a local furniture shop a couple months ago and I went 3 times and took cutoffs from them. I’m going to reach out to them this week and see if they will still give me scraps. I Have some black walnut, oak, and maybe some pine. It looks too white to be maple. I just started playing with the walnut and I love it. I’d like to try some Bocote. I plan on making a rattle for my new baby on the way. What species do you like to use?

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I really like to try a big variety, which I've picked up through this site and others, including such species as Bocote that you mentioned. Once and awhile, my local woodworking club members will bring in wood to share, and I've picked up several nice pieces there. I've spent a fair amount of time perusing Craigslist, and struck "gold" a couple of times over the last few years. Friends and family members have had trees taken down and given me dibs on those, which are a lot more work to turn into usable wood. Then there are trees out of my own yard that I have milled with my chainsaw and bandsaw. Small chunks for turning I've also scrounged from woodworking stores like Rockler and Woodcraft. Guess bottom line is that I'm always in the search mode for wood! Chuck

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Welcome to the group, Zack. We have lots of fun here so join right in. Most of us have been where you are in woodworking and can share all kinds of information you might be able to use. Just ask.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Welcome Zack...lots of turners here for sure...they're the ones with cracked faceshields covered in specks of CA glue! (self included)

You're in a great area with lots of clubs...be sure to check club names closest to you using the AAW chapter finder. If I remember correctly, the Adirondack club in Clifton Park is one I visited 5 or 6 years ago when there for business. Good club (they had Doug Fisher there for a 2 day workshop) with a lot of lathes for folks to get handson practice.
Hudson Valley a big area...here's some others .

AAW Chapters.jpg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Welcome Zack...lots of turners here for sure...they're the ones with cracked faceshields covered in specks of CA glue! (self included)

You're in a great area with lots of clubs...be sure to check club names closest to you using the AAW chapter finder. If I remember correctly, the Adirondack club in Clifton Park is one I visited 5 or 6 years ago when there for business. Good club (they had Doug Fisher there for a 2 day workshop) with a lot of lathes for folks to get handson practice.
Hudson Valley a big area...here's some others .

View attachment 175089

Tim,

Neat link. Found it interesting how many places had differently spelled names... little hispanic twist on some...