New guy with a similar affliction

Yes, it was definitely inspired by Nakashima. I've been there and to Escherick house- both are treasures. I was stationed in Japan with the Navy and actually discovered the Nakashima studio in Tokyo before I ever even knew who Nakashima was! That bench went to my sister-in-law.

I have got bunch of pear from a huge (for pear) local tree in 10/4 slabs. I've also got a bunch of wide, wildly figured cherry, mostly 4/4. Some English brown oak burl, figured honey locust, excellent walnuts, etc.

I would mostly be interested in slabs at least 3-4 ft long- 8/4 is great- more possibilities with resawing/bookmatching, etc.
@gvwp
 
Yes, it was definitely inspired by Nakashima. I've been there and to Escherick house- both are treasures. I was stationed in Japan with the Navy and actually discovered the Nakashima studio in Tokyo before I ever even knew who Nakashima was! That bench went to my sister-in-law.

I have got bunch of pear from a huge (for pear) local tree in 10/4 slabs. I've also got a bunch of wide, wildly figured cherry, mostly 4/4. Some English brown oak burl, figured honey locust, excellent walnuts, etc.

I would mostly be interested in slabs at least 3-4 ft long- 8/4 is great- more possibilities with resawing/bookmatching, etc.
Would love to see pictures of the figured cherry and honey locust.
 
Ryan - welcome from Illinois!

Nice pics and some wonderful looking pieces of furniture. I was also admiring the Nakashima inspired bench when I noticed some power tools in the background. It's confusing though...........I didn't see a spec of dust or a wood chip laying on the floor anywhere in the shop. What's up with that? :lol2:
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #25
Ryan - welcome from Illinois!

Nice pics and some wonderful looking pieces of furniture. I was also admiring the Nakashima inspired bench when I noticed some power tools in the background. It's confusing though...........I didn't see a spec of dust or a wood chip laying on the floor anywhere in the shop. What's up with that? :lol2:
Unbelievable! I'm not even a member for a full 24 hours and you're already busting my chops for keeping a clean shop! :blush:

I have a garage shop which makes it easy to blow it out with a leaf blower from time to time. I also just ran piping for full shop dust collection a few months ago and it's been a game changer. But, the bottom line is that I tend to think and work better in a clean shop and I'm a bit of a neat freak.

With a little work, I bet you could clean yours up too John ;-P
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #26
Would love to see pictures of the figured cherry and honey locust.
I would need to get pics of the Honey locust later. But here are a few of the Cherry that I took a while back. I have...a lot of it

I made the shaker stool from a more mildly figured board from the same batch. a lot of it is ~11" wide with a few wider and some live edge.

IMG_1522.webp IMG_1523.webp IMG_1607.webp IMG_1843.webp
 
Unbelievable! I'm not even a member for a full 24 hours and you're already busting my chops for keeping a clean shop! :blush:

I have a garage shop which makes it easy to blow it out with a leaf blower from time to time. I also just ran piping for full shop dust collection a few months ago and it's been a game changer. But, the bottom line is that I tend to think and work better in a clean shop and I'm a bit of a neat freak.

With a little work, I bet you could clean yours up too John ;-P
Glad to have you on-board. Me, clean-shop? Hmmmmmm. I suppose it's "possible", but not likely anytime too soon.

My advice............leave some sawdust laying around when taking pics.............otherwise, we're going to mistake you for @Jonkou (s) shop!

(You will figure it out- LOL) ** BTW - Gorgeous Cherry boards above too.
 
Back
Top