New to WB

Flagg8675309

Reaction score
First name
Nate
Hello everyone!

I'm new to Wood Barter. I've been into making walking sticks since I was a kid. Recently during the COVID quarantine, I got a small wood lathe and got into making slimline pens and, for my cousins kids, wands. I'm really getting into exotic woods, particularly true rosewoods, my favorite being African Blackwood. I'm currently planning on making a turned travel cane/walking stick out of rosewood now. I saw all the neat stuff people on here have so I figured I'd log on join in the fun.

Nate

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Nate, Welcome from South Texas! Tony

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy Nate, welcome to the club....

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Welcome from West TN. Post some pics when you have time to figure that out.

Btw, have good dust protection in place when working with exotic woods (or really any woods for that matter) so you don't build up a sensitivity or get an allergic reaction to your favorite woods.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
welcome Nate; you stumbled onto a great place; will have you turning so much more!!!!!!!!!!

Flagg8675309

Reaction score
First name
Nate
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming. Since I was asked for pictures, here’s some of the pens I’ve done so far, as well as some wands I did for my cousins. The pens are, from left to right:
Pink Ivory
Pink Ivory
Black Walnut Crotch
Honduran Rosewood
Flamewood
Lignum Vitae (I believe Argentine)
Bloodwood
Red Cedar
Olive
The wands, top to bottom, are 2 African padauk, Cherry, maple and walnut, and maple. The second picture is the cocobolo pen I made for my roommate, Third a macassar ebony pen for my grad school advisor, and finally a keychain lighter out of Kingwood for one of my classmates.

As for safety, while I don’t have much in the way of dust collection, I do all my woodworking with a high quality mask or respirator, outdoors. And for cocobolo in particular, long sleeves, full face coverings, outdoors only when wind is blowing the dust away from me. I’m trying to avoid much contact with any of the rosewood dust, but in particular that one, as I don’t want to develop allergies.

64E18A51-336A-4D73-B870-4CC1C5F86832.jpeg

82C69635-4B01-4A0E-A57A-B20ACE582B42.jpeg

41E5DEB6-7497-4751-8F2B-12EFA6B82C17.jpeg

4CFC4F89-0B83-4863-BE41-C3436202E5D0.jpeg

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
okay @Flagg8675309 Nate, go out (or get online) and order your first "larger" pen kit, bushings and drill bits. You are READY for it......you are already adding shapes, the wands are great and even though the bigger pen kits have larger tubes, don't be afraid to add shape to them just as you did with slim lines!! Some folks like a smaller pen, others like a larger, beefier pen or their hands fit one or the other better. Once you turn a larger pen, then ……..well, welcome to the dark side...….

Darn, went back and looked again......the wands are great!!!!!!!!!!!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Nice job with the spindle turning on those wands. What local woods to your area do you like using if any?