New woodturner and wood addict

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Welcome Joe from Wisconsin, but currently on vacation in Florida.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Welcome to the fun Joseph! Thanking you for your service, just doesn't seem adequate!!! Being the lovable bombastic (pun intended) and loquacious word-nerd as well as a dyed-in-the-wool wood hoarder as well as another displaced Native Texan I want to welcome you and inform you that it is perfectly permissible to dismiss or just outright ignore certain posts and posters! In my short 5 years here - It has been easy to deduce that there are solely, two types of people. First and Foremost - there are the Native Texans. And then there are the others - ya know, those that wanna be Native Texans, but cannot be. They are generally sad and somewhat jealous and in order to fortify what little machismo they have, like to disparage and otherwise undervalue the implications of being a Native Texan! The innuendo that diffracts from their very marrow is not disingenuous - they just lack (and understandably so) self-restraint! Now, there is one particular hellion, whom we have lovingly bestowed upon him his own special title - in the colloquial vernacular we have deemed him "The Islander" - even though, he now resides in the Great State! Now, he has this one categorically paramount, and pernicious praxis ---- Primarily, he hoards Curly Koa! A despicable depravity, according to Lil Mikey! Lil Mikey will now pull the rock over his hole and hibernate for a while!

1674487596857.png

Last edited:

Shockwavexray

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Joe, sorry I'm late but I was driving to Houston today. Welcome from South Texas! Rodney is right, I'm in a hotel in Houston now with the thermostat set at 79. Thank You for your Service, you're a braver man than I could ever be. Great looking pens, I can send you some Mesquite if you don't have any yet, just let me know.
I would die for some of that and any other wood from the motherland of Texas. It’s currently snowing about 10 inches this far and another 10is predicted!

3DB51DEB-7454-4FB2-AF49-AE3B39BA74B7.jpeg

Shockwavexray

Reaction score
First name
Joseph
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the fun Joseph! Thanking you for your service, just doesn't seem adequate!!! Being the lovable bombastic (pun intended) and loquacious word-nerd as well as a dyed-in-the-wool wood hoarder as well as another displaced Native Texan I want to welcome you and inform you that it is perfectly permissible to dismiss or just outright ignore certain posts and posters! In my short 5 years here - It has been easy to deduce that there are solely, two types of people. First and Foremost - there are the Native Texans. And then there are the others - ya know, those that wanna be Native Texans, but cannot be. They are generally sad and somewhat jealous and in order to fortify what little machismo they have, like to disparage and otherwise undervalue the implications of being a Native Texan! The innuendo that diffracts from their very marrow is not disingenuous - they just lack (and understandably so) self-restraint! Now, there is one particular hellion, whom we have lovingly bestowed upon him his own special title - in the colloquial vernacular we have deemed him "The Islander" - even though, he now resides in the Great State! Now, he has this one categorically paramount, and pernicious praxis ---- Primarily, he hoards Curly Koa! A despicable depravity, according to Lil Mikey! Lil Mikey will now pull the rock over his hole and hibernate for a while!

View attachment 236753
Those of us from the “Motherland” can never be fully understood. We are a finite group who mix crazy, honest, hardworking, and down right loyal to the cause. Curly Koa is something I never seen. What is this Koa you speak of?

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Those of us from the “Motherland” can never be fully understood. We are a finite group who mix crazy, honest, hardworking, and down right loyal to the cause. Curly Koa is something I never seen. What is this Koa you speak of?
It's an Acacia - but the Koa Acacia one is only found in Hawaii. This piece is primo - and pretty rare.

1674492245006.png

This one is less rare, but still not easy to find.

1674492476533.png

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

View attachment 236753
@Don Ratcliff

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
It's an Acacia - but the Koa Acacia one is only found in Hawaii. This piece is primo - and pretty rare.

View attachment 236775

This one is less rare, but still not easy to find.

View attachment 236776
That's nice stuff, I'll need to see your papers on it though. You see my wife and I were deputized when leaving Hawaii. Her mission was to spread Aloha to the mainland and my task was to collect all of the CULTURALLY APPROPRIATED CURLY KOA from da haoles. I'll pm you my mailing address. Failure to comply and the state mails you a bag of sand and a lava rock. I don't think I have to explain what happens after that.

Welcome to the crazy train @Shockwavexray
:curse2:

dovetaildoc

Reaction score
First name
Mike

Koa comes quite variable in color, curl patterns, and density, depending on which Hawaiian Island, as well as the altitude it grew.

Mike
IMG_20190308_163924.jpg IMG_2609.JPG IMG_20190226_213926.jpg IMG_2223.JPG IMG_2598.JPG IMG_20190219_171420.jpg IMG_2602.JPG

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I believe that is a clear violation and personal foul for flaunting and for unsportsmanlike cardiac shock. Might need a moderator to break that Koa post down into smaller portions to better ease the viewer in to amazement versus total arrest or shock.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Wait Mike - You are supposed to only show me that "junk"!!!

I can't compete! I bow down to superiority!!!!

Last edited:

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Welcome from Washington state. Was in Bangor and Bar Harbor in August 1997. Stopped there before fishing in New Brunswick and Quebec.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
That's nice stuff, I'll need to see your papers on it though. You see my wife and I were deputized when leaving Hawaii. Her mission was to spread Aloha to the mainland and my task was to collect all of the CULTURALLY APPROPRIATED CURLY KOA from da haoles. I'll pm you my mailing address. Failure to comply and the state mails you a bag of sand and a lava rock. I don't think I have to explain what happens after that.

Welcome to the crazy train @Shockwavexray
:curse2:
Who invited him?

dovetaildoc

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I believe that is a clear violation and personal foul for flaunting and for unsportsmanlike cardiac shock. Might need a moderator to break that Koa post down into smaller portions to better ease the viewer in to amazement versus total arrest or shock.
LOL!😂... I'm actually trying to break down the physical pile and distribute to the needy/worthy! Look for some feelers to show up on the For Sale pages soon 🤙

Mike