Nova chuck jammed

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
I was drilling center holes for pen blanks using the nova pen chuck jaws, so lots of repetitive steps and at one point I inserted the key into the chuck to loosen it and the movement was all chunky not smooth like it usually is, and then it just jammed and now it won’t open or close. How do I get it unstuck?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Probably some chips got into it. Take it off the lathe and try just blowing it out trying to move the chuck key just a little while blowing. If that doesn't do the trick may have to disassemble. On the back is a snap ring, remove it and take the chuck apart, cleaning as you go.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Almost sounds like a cog or two has some broken teeth. Have only seen it on good quality Drill Chucks, but it's a possibility on wood chucks too.

Duh! I just now remembered that happened to one of my Nova G3's 5 years ago. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

BurlyBurl

Reaction score
First name
Billy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tried cleaning it and greasing it and still not budging, all the teeth in the cog look fine. the parts you attach jaws to have a slight wobble cept for number 2 it doesn’t have any give to it. Looks like I need to disassemble🙄