Oct. Turning Challenge- Something Other Than Wood

Jason Goodrich

Member
Full Member
Messages
252
Reaction score
1,030
Location
Portland, OR
First name
Jason
Fall is here. Hopefully that means more of us are back in the shop. Let’s see if we can get these challenges going.

I thought there was a list of previous challenges but didn’t find it. I looked through some of the previous challenges and didn’t see this. Turn something other than wood. I suppose that epoxy fits that description, but hopefully we see some other options that don’t show up often.

Some ideas-
Brass
Aluminum
Seeds like Tigua, Avocado, or Betel
Stone, I have some soapstone to turn, alabaster would be cool to see
Some metal spinning would be great to see
Technically, palm is more of a grass than a tree, so you could make an argument that it isn’t wood.
Plastic works too

Let’s have them done by Halloween. Voting will be the first week of November.
 
Been trying to think of something to do with a banksia pod that Jerry @Nubsnstubs sent me years ago - I hope it can find it among the clutter in my garage :lol2:
 
Sounds like fun. Should be a number of pen / kitchen utensil handles/ bottle stoppers show up in this challenge. My last turning that was not wood was a drawer knob for a mcm dresser that I was putting back together for a friend.
Does cork count? It is technically bark, right?
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6
Sure, cork would be interesting. I have thought about doing something with cork, but I imagine that tear out would be a big problem.
 
Sure, cork would be interesting. I have thought about doing something with cork, but I imagine that tear out would be a big problem.
Cork has a grain direction much like wood. It does stabilise though. One of my German contacts did it once. Didn’t make nothing. Just wanted to see if it stabilised well. Then shelved the idea.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
I stabilized and turned a pen with pine bark that turned out ok. It was an interesting story, but probably not worth it for a pen. It needed something bigger to show off the character.
 
Back
Top