phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Oaks are impossible to distinguish to the species level by the wood alone. All you can do is say it's red or white or live. Looks like you have red, so it could be any of a few hundred species.

That IS a nice wavy grain though. Nowhere near unique but pretty rare.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Oaks are impossible to distinguish to the species level by the wood alone. All you can do is say it's red or white or live. Looks like you have red, so it could be any of a few hundred species.

That IS a nice wavy grain though. Nowhere near unique but pretty rare.
Lot of tyloses in those pores for a red Oak, no? Color is much more akin to a white also.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I'm only shooting from the hip here, no way to verify, yet, but I think it's the Chestnut Oak that is prone to that, given the deeply furrowed bark that's particular to that species. Then again, I may be dreaming up my own special "science", don't know.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Lot of tyloses in those pores for a red Oak, no? Color is much more akin to a white also.
Actually, you might be right. I was taken in by the few pores that are completely clear of any obstruction but looking at a lot of the others, it DOES appear that there are more pores w/ tyloses than would be normal for red oak.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I'm only shooting from the hip here, no way to verify, yet, but I think it's the Chestnut Oak that is prone to that, given the deeply furrowed bark that's particular to that species. Then again, I may be dreaming up my own special "science", don't know.
Could well be but none of the modest number of chestnut oak samples I've handled have that.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Could well be but none of the modest number of chestnut oak samples I've handled have that.
I've cut down and cut up a fair number or Chestnut Oak. Never seen that in any of them. Not saying it's in any way endemic to them, just a completely unfounded possibility they're more prone to it, based only on the furrowed bark.
Only time I've found pieces of raw oak like that, 2 or 3 I think, it was in delivered firewood and no possibility of identifying it beyond white or red Oak.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reminder. I will try to get it out in the next 2 weeks. I put it in my truck, meaning to swing by the post office and then ... You know the rest of the story. 17149141345242943142246112872775.jpg it sat behind the seat, and I in front and ne'er the twain did meet.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Been there. Could be worse...

Friend took his wife on a business trip. She almost never goes with him on any business trips. Stopped on 495 beltway to use the restroom and left her there. Drove an hour south before realizing what he did.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Frank (@2feathers Creative Making) just got the pieces. Look great. Thanks. I'll do my end grain processing on at least one of them and I'll make sure that a couple find their way to Mark (@Mr. Peet)