Old guy new to wood barter

finewoodworks

Member
Messages
4
Reaction score
5
Location
wisconsin
First name
Ralph
Hello , my name is ralph Duret, I used to make furniture and cabinets with a background in framing and finish carpentry, I live in S/E WI for now, going thru a divorce and selling my house and everything in my shop, I'm 62 yrs old , semi retired, I joined wood barter to hopefully get some insight from other passionate woodworkers on the best way to get my lumber and machinery passed on to someone that could use it in the best way possible.
Any insight would be appreciated, Thank you in advance
Woodworking dinosaur signing off
 
Welcome from SENC! Sorry you're going through that! I'd look for any woodworking/wood-turning clubs in your area - they'd most likely be sources of interested buyers. Other than that, Facebook Marketplace works for many - but I get frustrated with tire kickers and low ballers and personally prefer to make a little less eith less hassle and know my stuff goes to someone really interested.
 
Welcome from Austria. I’m sorry for the hard time you’re having. Maybe some of it can be sold here on the site.
 
WELCOME! From Michigan. :welcome2:
Sorry for what you are going through. I've been through it also. My advice is keep your tools for awhile, put the. In storage if space is a problem. Eventually you may want to get back to wood working and youll wish you still had your tools. I kept mine through the divorce and just started my life over. I walked away with my tools and the clothes on my back, thats it. Purchased a house cheap and rebuilt, im still in the same house. So glad I kept my tools.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #7
Thank you all for the show of support, greatly appreciated, in regards to the lumber I am trying to get rid of I am not concerned with the usual stuff, but I have some pretty unusual Cuban mahogany I've owned for the last 27 yrs, that should go to the right people, I was told multiple time that it was very special and I've used it very sparingly, I did make a solid coffee table with some of it but it kind of felt like I was committing a crime of sort, if it can be used as a veneer, or to make some instruments I think it would serve its purpose better
Any advice appreciated
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #8
Thank you Woodtick, I've already started to get rid of some of the big machines, 15" planner and my 15" jointer for pennies on the dollar, I don't have any place to store any of it I can't even find a place to rent, so I am trying to lighten the load and only keep the bare necessity, I'm in the twilight zone right now, 35 yrs of my life vanishing in an instant, kind of an adjustment
 
Thank you Woodtick, I've already started to get rid of some of the big machines, 15" planner and my 15" jointer for pennies on the dollar, I don't have any place to store any of it I can't even find a place to rent, so I am trying to lighten the load and only keep the bare necessity, I'm in the twilight zone right now, 35 yrs of my life vanishing in an instant, kind of an adjustment
I've been there. When I went through it I didn't know what I was going to do, where I was going to live, what was I going to do with my tools, I had no furniture, pots and pans, dishes, towels, etc. Look Into renting a storage bay so you dont have to give away all of your expensive machines. Then if you decide later to sell them you can take your time and get more of what they are worth. I know it seems hopeless and dark but you will get through it. Many of us here have.
 
Back
Top