Oops & OOPS

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
First Oops- On the 23rd, we had a storm blow through my neighborhood. It was a pretty intense affair as my 35' x 50' roof took flight. I was on my stairs when it let go. It is a strange feeling when you can hear your house being ripped apart but can't see what is happening. The rain was so intense that my description is it was like having buckets of water being dumped all over. In total, the rain lasted about 30 minutes and dropped 2 1/8". My house leaked like the proverbial sieve because the wind blew it off before it started raining.

One hundred sixty five yards later, it caught a power pole, snapped it into two pieces, causing 5 other poles to fall over. The roof traveled another 100' before settling down at the steps going into the school. We were without power in my area for almost 24 hours. It was near 110 degrees outside the next day, just like it has always been. The inside of the house was 95 degrees.

Second OOPS- I had go out to get stuff needed to redo my roof. Instead of doing just that, I stopped at a woodturning newbie's house as he had a question about how to take the corners off his 8 x 8 glued up blanks. The saw is right tilt with a Biesemeyer Fence. I needed to set up another piece of wood to prevent the blade from cutting into the fence face. I then cut off one corner. I didn't really care for that piece of wood I used to prevent the blade from cutting into the fence. The saw is still running. I reached for it and managed to move it maybe 1/16" when the cut off piece kicked back and just blew off my right ring finger fingernail. Hurt really bad instantly with blood littering his floor. I am really grateful I didn't get my hand into the blade. That would have been worse than a kick back.

I thought it would be painful the next day but there hasn't been any to take into account unless I bump it. So, that's my story. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
First Oops- On the 23rd, we had a storm blow through my neighborhood. It was a pretty intense affair as my 35' x 50' roof took flight. I was on my stairs when it let go. It is a strange feeling when you can hear your house being ripped apart but can't see what is happening. The rain was so intense that my description is it was like having buckets of water being dumped all over. In total, the rain lasted about 30 minutes and dropped 2 1/8". My house leaked like the proverbial sieve because the wind blew it off before it started raining.

One hundred sixty five yards later, it caught a power pole, snapped it into two pieces, causing 5 other poles to fall over. The roof traveled another 100' before settling down at the steps going into the school. We were without power in my area for almost 24 hours. It was near 110 degrees outside the next day, just like it has always been. The inside of the house was 95 degrees.

Second OOPS- I had go out to get stuff needed to redo my roof. Instead of doing just that, I stopped at a woodturning newbie's house as he had a question about how to take the corners off his 8 x 8 glued up blanks. The saw is right tilt with a Biesemeyer Fence. I needed to set up another piece of wood to prevent the blade from cutting into the fence face. I then cut off one corner. I didn't really care for that piece of wood I used to prevent the blade from cutting into the fence. The saw is still running. I reached for it and managed to move it maybe 1/16" when the cut off piece kicked back and just blew off my right ring finger fingernail. Hurt really bad instantly with blood littering his floor. I am really grateful I didn't get my hand into the blade. That would have been worse than a kick back.

I thought it would be painful the next day but there hasn't been any to take into account unless I bump it. So, that's my story. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)
Yikes! Tragedy after tragedy! Wish I were closer to lend a hand! Chuck

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Wow, that really sucks Jerry. I hadn't heard of that area getting hit with storms like that, better check with my other friends down there. Hope your finger is okay and you're able to get a roof back on quickly and the water damage isn't too bad.

Joker9

Surprize, AZ
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Jerry, glad to read you still got 10. If it rains again please send on up the road.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Sorry to hear Jerry. All that heat in AZ., plus the storm, plus the finger injury. Jeez, glad you are okay and all the best getting things put back together. Hope you find a good contractor.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jerry, glad to read you still got 10. If it rains again please send on up the road.
Ok, Joker, here is what I have. Only 8 3/4 fingers. Not bad for the amount of time I was woodworking. Now, the funny thing is I have 8 fingers that are producing nails. There are a total of 11 nails growing on those remaining 8 fingers.

As far as the rain goes, you'll be getting it pretty soon. you might get your yearly rainfall in one day, but it will happen. ..........Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry to hear Jerry. All that heat in AZ., plus the storm, plus the finger injury. Jeez, glad you are okay and all the best getting things put back together. Hope you find a good contractor.
John, I'm the contractor. I have a friend that lives less than a mile from me that is a roofer. Problem is he is independent and with the devastation in this neighborhood, he got real busy and I'm now having to wait for my turn.

Here is a picture at the school with some of my roof shown. The other half is out of the picture on the bottom right. Today the parking lot is being cleaned up as school starts sometime next week.

IMG_0119.jpeg
I have good pictures of this, but this damn IMAC I have still won't space without having to hit both the SHIFT button and SPACE BAR at the same time. On Outlook I can type and don't have that problem. Now, for some reason, I'll want to post a picture and I can't as it doesn't know I'm clicking on any of the pictures.

My biggest gripe about school policy is they will not let me observe them picking up the litter. Reason I want to observe them is this trussed roof was installed over a flat roof. It is or WAS my attic. I stored a lot of stuff there including the headlight door and grill for my '72 Toyota Land Cruiser that was up under this top roof. I did find another part for the back window frame in my closest neighbors yard.

Bad picture below. The middle fingers are what was damaged. The index finger shown actually has 3 nails growing out of it. The router bit shown was made to use for routing door stops to insert weather stripping into.
IMG_0128.jpeg
.................... Jerry (in Tucson)

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Damn Jerry, sorry to hear these things! Hope you heal up and get a dry cover soon!

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
John, I'm the contractor. I have a friend that lives less than a mile from me that is a roofer. Problem is he is independent and with the devastation in this neighborhood, he got real busy and I'm now having to wait for my turn.

Here is a picture at the school with some of my roof shown. The other half is out of the picture on the bottom right. Today the parking lot is being cleaned up as school starts sometime next week.

View attachment 245165
I have good pictures of this, but this damn IMAC I have still won't space without having to hit both the SHIFT button and SPACE BAR at the same time. On Outlook I can type and don't have that problem. Now, for some reason, I'll want to post a picture and I can't as it doesn't know I'm clicking on any of the pictures.

My biggest gripe about school policy is they will not let me observe them picking up the litter. Reason I want to observe them is this trussed roof was installed over a flat roof. It is or WAS my attic. I stored a lot of stuff there including the headlight door and grill for my '72 Toyota Land Cruiser that was up under this top roof. I did find another part for the back window frame in my closest neighbors yard.

Bad picture below. The middle fingers are what was damaged. The index finger shown actually has 3 nails growing out of it. The router bit shown was made to use for routing door stops to insert weather stripping into.
View attachment 245166
.................... Jerry (in Tucson)
yikes

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Sorry to read this, Jerry. Sure do hope you get the roof up soon. That finger looks nasty but from what you described coulda been much worse. You are due for some good days.