Opinions on Hollowing Tools

TheGrainMill

Reaction score
First name
Connor
It's about time I invested in a decent hollowing tool and wanted to know peoples opinions on what has worked best for them. I like the idea of the adjustable ones but don't want to sacrifice quality if those don't have as good a reputation. I literally know nothing so any and all opinions welcome. Thanks all!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Hand held tools can be a challenge, especially the deeper you go. A hollowing rig saves you from the beating and physical aspect of it. I have made my own hollowing tools but I try not to go too deep with them so as not to extend off the tool rest so far.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I should've said, the one I put up is great for end grain, not face grain.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Mostly I use John Jordan 3/4" bars (straight and curved bars). I also use the Trent Bosch articulated arm stabilizer. The bars Trent Bosch sells are very close to the Jordan bars.

With that setup you are good to about 10" deep, and I've gone to 12" deep cutting gently.

I've also got a set of Jordan 1/2" tools that I use without a stabilizer. I only use those to around 4-5" deep.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Funny- Tim @trc65 and I seem to be on the same page with a lot of our turning strategies. I also use John Jordan 1/2” bars and Jordan’s 3/4” curved bars. One difference is I use a 3/4” straight bar that came with Tim Yoders Elbo 2 hollowing system. The Elbo 2 is super easy to setup and I use it with the laser to gouge wall thickness. I’ve gotten to where I set up the hollowing system for almost everything except small ornament size type of hollow forms.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Connor, I just bought several different Trent Bosch tools. Check out his videos. Greg is right, everything I have seen is that once you get to 8-10 or more deep some type of stabilization setup is really needed and beneficial. I bought small and midsize to get me started in smaller hollowing efforts.

Search the forum, there have been several conversations in last few months about hollowing.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I have tried several methods for hollowing, by far the easiest with learning curve is the Bosch system. I have two sets of his and have not regretted getting them, Tips are not hard to sharpen, and I don't work with soft woods.
My first hollowing rig uses a captive ring, older HSS tips and chatters like crazy, Since it has a longer reach, I still use it for reaching really long hollowing when I have the time.

Last edited:

TheGrainMill

Reaction score
First name
Connor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone! I ended up going with the Bosch system. Should be arriving next week, excited to give it a go