Pallet breaker

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Been to a couple weddings myself where I was related to both the bride and groom. Guess they weren't really blood kin but it is still good for a laugh.

mdlbldrmatt135

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Any more progress since getting the tubing notcher? Been wanting one, we have a few pallets stacked up that are a bear to get apart without damaging the lumber.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any more progress since getting the tubing notcher? Been wanting one, we have a few pallets stacked up that are a bear to get apart without damaging the lumber.
Unfortunatly no, started a new job and that has been taking a lot of my time, been getting a lot of overtime and I really need it, the money is helping me to get back on my feet again. It's still a work in progress though, I need one too! And I think I can use the tig welder at the new job.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well today I finally got the first prototype welded up and i gave it a try on some pallets at work. Worked very well but noticed a couple of things. I think the angle on the handle needs to be greater which would lower it and make it easier to use. It works great if you give it a snap with the handle, pops the boards right off.

And here's the first one, not painted yet.
20170918_173719.jpg Handle is about 5 feet long.
20170918_173741.jpg
The handle just bolts on with one bolt
20170918_173747.jpg
I think I need to open the angle up on the next one. I also welded the fingers on vertically for more strength.
20170918_173813.jpg not the prettiest but it worked well. Now I need to try a couple other styles to see which ones work the best.
20170918_173831.jpg

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
She got a lathe, had to take on a second job to buy all the other goodies she needed to go with it! :whatever:

lvstealth

Reaction score
First name
Lisa
Hiiii!!!!!

No, I can't swing a lathe yet, but I am getting a scroll saw. It's a Wen. I'm going to try my hand at Intarsia. We shall see.

Believe it or not, I got all whacky because I couldn't sleep. Just all of a sudden one day I stopped sleeping. Weird that you need sleep to think straight, but it came on all of a sudden and no one figured out why. Then one day it was better. No one knows why.

I'm trying to read and watch Intarsia stuff, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! -Lisa

Oh... And great job @woodtickgreg! I need that!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Hiiii!!!!!

No, I can't swing a lathe yet, but I am getting a scroll saw. It's a Wen. I'm going to try my hand at Intarsia. We shall see.

Believe it or not, I got all whacky because I couldn't sleep. Just all of a sudden one day I stopped sleeping. Weird that you need sleep to think straight, but it came on all of a sudden and no one figured out why. Then one day it was better. No one knows why.

I'm trying to read and watch Intarsia stuff, any ideas would be greatly appreciated! -Lisa

Oh... And great job @woodtickgreg! I need that!

Good to see you back Lisa! Tony

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Lisa, I have been using the breaker to see what I like and don't like about it. So far it has proven to be easy, tough, and doing the job. But it needs a little refinement yet.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Only that I use it a lot at work to take apart scrap pallets so they don't take up as much space in the dumpster. It has proven to be a tough tool and sta ding up to frequent use well. It's always in the back of my pick up because you never know when it will be needed.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I still have not been able to find the time to weld these up. But I have been using the crap out of the prototype and it has held up very well, I decided that the angle is good enough and it gives good leverage. I broke up a bunch of hardwood pallets for the work today, 90% hardwood, mostly oak and maple but some cherry. Heres todays work.

5/4 hardwood boards nailed to 3x4 and 4x4 runners. Work needed the runners to set heavy blocks of steel on.
20190726_085000.jpg even spiral nails are no match for the breaker, if it doesn't pull the nail out it just rips the heads through the boards.
20190726_085011.jpg Takes me about an hour to bust through a stack like this and that's not working hard.
20190726_085030.jpg It has proven to be a very tough tool.
20190726_090529.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Heres a quick video I did when I made the tool. Keep in mind I am using it with one hand while I hold my cell phone with the other hand to make the video. But that should also tell you how easy it is to use.