Pen Blanks

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Ok for my first 12 months of turning I've bought a lot of pen blanks but since I've found 2 loggers to get me wood and all the trades I've made at WB now I find myself cutting up pen blanks out of the cutoffs of bowl blanks. Do pen blanks need to be cut with or against the grain or does it really matter on something so small?
Thanks
Tony

ironman123

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Tony, some woods look good on diagonal cuts and some on crosscuts also. I do my personal stuff just which ever looks good to me.

Ray

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
With pen blanks I cut however I think it will look best. Cutting at an angle or cross grain can provide a few unique challenges since you'll be turning end grain but the results can be worth it. In the picture below, both blanks came from the same board of Bubinga I bought in the clearance rack at a Woodcraft (It had some serious warp :) ) One is cut with the grain and the other cut at 45 degrees.

IMG_6310.JPG

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With pen blanks I cut however I think it will look best. Cutting at an angle or cross grain can provide a few unique challenges since you'll be turning end grain but the results can be worth it. In the picture below, both blanks came from the same board of Bubinga I bought in the clearance rack at a Woodcraft (It had some serious warp :) ) One is cut with the grain and the other cut at 45 degrees.

View attachment 37586[/quotelooks good. An see the difference.