Poplar butcher block bowl

David Seaba

Reaction score
First name
David
I got this finished up yesterday. It's made from poplar butcher block we use for molds at work. It's 14 3/4" × 4 5/8" . I used artisan dyes for the color. There's purple, blue, yellow, turquoise, and orange in the mix. Some are very Suttle.
Had to have one of my helpers hold it for a picture.
Thank you for looking.

20170706_121841.jpg

20170706_121821.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Very cool. I didnt know poplar could be used as a butcher block....

David Seaba

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@ripjack13
Not sure what the original use is for it but we get it to use for molds in a thermoforming machine. It looks just like regular butcher block only a lot thicker I have some that's 2" up to 5-6 " whatever glue they used makes this like turning stone . LOL

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Cool bowl, and quite an accomplished "helper".

That color and combo remind me of a psychiatrist's office I did decades ago. He wanted a mahogany wood veneer wall paper. But he wanted it to be very dark - black. I told him I did not know how unless I had it painted black. I had just gotten finished with a mid-rise in Lexington, KY that was supposed to have black precast - ain't no such animal and probably impossible without paint - and even then the sun reflections would cause it to be less than black. The Doc's interior designer furnished some 9-step formula for a "black" stain. Turned out very similar to your bowl - not really black - but he was happy. So all was well, well except for the cost of another 3 weeks of overhead while the 9-steps were done.

The poplar molds are interesting. My dad sent me a boxful of molds he had picked up at garage sale - also butcher block, but out of some sort of softwood.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Very cool! I love the coloring. Every time I try multiple colors, I get brown!

Got any shots of the raw material you started with? I'm having trouble visualizing it.