ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Howdy,
This is a weekly series of questions topic for everyone to join in on the discussion. Some of the later questions may have a poll, and some will not.
Don't be shy now, go ahead and post an answer....

What are your favorite low-budget alternatives to high-cost items?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Consulate Scotch. While I'd prefer a good single malt, Consulate stands up quite well against its more expensive brethren J&B and Dewars.:sarcastic:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Lumber that I mill instead of buying from a lumber yard or big box store. Same goes for tools and jigs when I can make them. Anything that is re purposed. Found turning stock instead of purchased, unless I buy it from wood barter of course.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Used tools. When I can I always try to buy pre owned, let someone else take the depreciation and usually the vintage stuff is better built.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I'd say tools and especially bartering for them. What I give for tools I could always make my money back having a yard sale in February, during a snowstorm! I don't care if I need a particular tool or not, if the price is right I can always make money. If I can work it off or trade for it, that just makes it cheaper for me.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I love finding cheap lumber. I've picked up used cabinet doors for a dollar that were solid cherry! I'm always on the hunt through the Habitat for Humanity stores here looking for deals like that.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
Something that I've done for years is keep a few buckets of dry dirt in any shops or garages that I've worked in to use as floor dry or just leave it on the floor and park something over it. When you get a spill just throw some on it and sweep it up the next day. The funny part is that people just hate it, but are plenty willing to go waste someone else's money at the parts house for floor dry.
The owner of the last ranch I worked for liked the idea just fine after I let him know that I'd need a pallet of floor dry every month if he didn't care for some dirt on the floor.