Question Of The Week... ( 2017 Week 38) with poll question!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
What should the next Wood Barter calendar theme be?

It's getting close to the end of the year and if we want to make one, now is the time to start thinking about it.
Post up some other options if you think of some, or let us know you dont think its a good idea.

Also if you have any other ideas, let me know too.

Thanks....

Dont be shy, vote in the poll above.

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
And of course the.......

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I voted for flatwork just because we have a ton of turners here and always see a lot of that work. But I have also seen some beautiful flat work. Some of @Mike1950 work comes to mind. his boxes, dressers, work bench, are all worthy of being in a calendar.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
How about a calendar that is all inclusive, no particular theme? People could submit a piece and everyone could vote on what goes in the calendar. I think all of us appreciate great work regardless of what type it is. I don't know anything about carving, but I love seeing what carvers do. Tony

Karl_99

Reaction score
First name
Karl
While I primarily turn pens and like to see other pens, I like to see what other non-pen work everyone is doing.

Was there a theme this year? If so, I was not aware of it.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
also could have before and after pics- I know who took that elm and turned it into something very nice

Last edited:

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I voted pens, then read a bunch of stuff, Now I'm thinking I'd like to see a bit of everything!!!

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
A thought, kind of like what @Tony was suggesting.
Maybe have 3-4 pics of different projects and make it like a monthly contest of what folks liked the best?
No real prize except bragging rights & lots of things get displayed.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Well giving it its due, the last calendar started as a challenge only to other Knife Makers, to build a knife out of wood, and was expanded to include Wood Workers, and then it went from Pappy's attempt to create a personal calendar comprised of wooden knives, to a Wood Barter Wooden Knife Challenge Calendar project. With intent expressed to pursue other avenues of wood interests in future projects, which leads us here...

I'm all for diversity in the calendar guys, but that does open the door to a lot of potential wood working projects, and makes it that much more difficult to choose which projects make the calendar.

Just sayin y'all... It's gonna take one seriously bad ass ink pen or game call, to compete against bowls, hollow forms, carvings, musical instruments, boxes, exquisite work benches, roll top desks, intricate models. Part of the fun of the knife project, was a great many of us stepping outside our comfort zone and attempting something different.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Was there a theme this year? If so, I was not aware of it.
Well giving it its due, the last calendar started as a challenge only to other Knife Makers, to build a knife out of wood, and was expanded to include Wood Workers, and then it went from Pappy's attempt to create a personal calendar comprised of wooden knives, to a Wood Barter Wooden Knife Challenge Calendar project. With intent expressed to pursue other avenues of wood interests in future projects, which leads us here....

This Karl...