ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Are there any areas where air tools really outperform corded or cordless tools in a woodworking shop?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
“I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.” — Chirrut Îmwe

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Biggest one I can think of is a 2" right angle grinder, nothing like it for the controll and fast material removal. But I dont use it on wood alot, mostly for metal work that is used in a wood project. Small right angle grinders are extremely useful in metal work. Some automotive Sanders are also amazing. Air powered pencil grinders might be another for the carvers. But good ones like dotco brand etc are really expensive, you get what you pay for.
And I still like air powered nailers, cordless is nice but heavier and I dont think as precise as a lightweight air nailer. Although I think both have their uses. In the shop I prefer air, doing trim in a house I'll take the cordless so I dont have to drag the hose around.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have found air sanders and grinders better in certain spots. Air powered trim nailers drive harder and deeper and more rapidly than cordless. Out on the jobsite, the framing nailer is definitely faster and better

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Can’t vouch for cordless brad nailers, but I’ve used my air brad nailer on a couple of projects with good success. Frank has me thinking on air sanders now! Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The air nozzle for blowing things off in the shop is so much quieter than the electric blower and the gas powered blower. Now in the driveway, the air hose wins on cleaning tools and small engine work while the corded blower and gas jobby are more saw dust and leaf related.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Yep!
For my 0.02–
The air nozzles can’t be beat for blowing the dust etc. out of a form in process.
I tend to use smaller angle sanders for inside the bowl/vase/form— really like the variability in rpm on the fly. Plus doesn’t seem to be as “grabby” as my right or 45 deg drill.

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
There are only a couple of reasons why I have a compressor. For flat tires, Brad Nail guns and air nozzle.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
That brings up a follow-on question: is it better to blow sawdust off a piece or vacuum the dust off? I use my shop vac because I don't have an air compressor. My guitar coach always uses the air hose but I think that's a matter of efficiency and convenience - it's always pressurized and it's hanging right there on a hook.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
That brings up a follow-on question: is it better to blow sawdust off a piece or vacuum the dust off? I use my shop vac because I don't have an air compressor. My guitar coach always uses the air hose but I think that's a matter of efficiency and convenience - it's always pressurized and it's hanging right there on a hook.
Think your lungs would prefer the vacuum. But compressed air can be so convenient sometimes. I kind of hearken this to raking/sweeping up leaves or blowing them around! Chuck

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Long as the vacuum hose has the soft bristle end that will not mar the wood... My compressor is quieter than the vacuum. Usually blow off the tools and vacuum the floor. So in a way, both.