ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Other than throwing away worn-out bandsaw blades, do you have a clever use for them?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
There are no mistakes in woodworking until you run out of wood.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Haven't trashed em yet. I have a bad habit of procrastinating and hoping to find something useful. Especially my bands off my sawmill. Was thinking to research what type steel they are. Seems a lot of thin bands would almost force a Damascus pattern if they were forged into a blade. Just haven't stopped to find out if the quality is there yet.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I don't keep them, but now I'm wondering if there is some artsy thing that could be done with them. Chuck

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Awhile back, a Flintknapper made a Didgeridoo out of a Yucca stalk. Well, since I live in an area where I can pick and choose which stalks to collect, I decided I would give it a try. So, I got myself a piece of Saguaro Rib, cut part of a blade to about 12" long. I then attached the blade to a Saguaro Rib that was about 1 1/2 - 2" wide x 5" long, and fitted it to the Rib, making sure the loop was at least 2" from handle to top of the loop. I then used this as a scraper to remove the innards of the stalk. The stalk was split down the middle so it could be glued back when all hogging was done. Unfortunately, I removed too much as the outer skin of the stalk tweaked and I couldn't align the 2 pieces to get it glued back like it was before I cut it.

So, yes, worn. out bandsaw blades can be used if you have a good imagination. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I've used a few as drying supports. Made hair brushes for the cows when I was little. Loop brushes and cross drag brushes. Temporary hangers.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
I typically pitch since I don’t have room for anything extra, but, I like the idea of saving one for use as a support when finishing things.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I uh,...uh, well, .... I.... oh nevermind.

(Just being a smart a$$ since I don't have a bandsaw)

Last edited:

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
With all things metal that gets worn out, I will give them to one of the guys in the church who collects scrap metal. He'll pile it up for a while and then take it all in and get the money out of it. He then puts all that money into our Churches Blast program for the area youth.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I broke a bandsaw blade once! Broke it into shorter pieces, would lock a piece in a vise grip and use it for a makeshift saw. Its well known I don't make anything - so I don't wear blades out - therefore I don't have any worn-out blades!