Record turning tools?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Anybody have any info on these? I got this set from an auction a couple days ago, can't find much about them, I don't think Record got into wood lathe tools in a big way. This set appears older, but never used, marked HSS Shefield England, so I think they are good to go. Pretty beefy and nice long handles. Paid $80 for them, not a super gloat, but certainly less than the cost of a new set...
100_2502.JPG 100_2504.JPG

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That set was stolen from me so unless you want to go to jail for receiving stolen property you can just mail them back to me. :sofa:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Tony, I knew I could count on you for some enlightening info:sarcastic:

guylaizure

Reaction score
First name
Guy
I have a couple of their spindle gouges I got in the 90's.Good quality steel and they perform and hold an edge equal to my Sorby and Crown tools.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
No experience with Record turning tools, but I've been happy with any of the Sheffield steel I've come across... Nice find!

Tim Carter

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I've bought and sold several sets of these and the steel is great! If you compare the spindle roughing gouge with a Sorby or other major name , you'll find that the tang on the Record is much thicker than the others. A really good thing in my opinion!

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
I have a roughing gouge and a spindle gouge and love them. They take and hold a nice edge. You can't go wrong with them IMO. The price you paid was a steal!