Redwood burl

Debbie Critz

Reaction score
First name
Debbie
Hello looking for help on how to refinish a approximately 30 year old redwood burl found off the coast of California. The burl is at least 30 or 40 lbs.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
WELCOME! From Michigan. :welcome2:
Not sure what you mean by refinishing? It looks like just a raw burl.

Debbie Critz

Reaction score
First name
Debbie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha I'm 100% amateur...want to bring the redwood color out...so we have read you should sand it first then put tung oil or linseed oil or some type of finish on it.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Ha I'm 100% amateur...want to bring the redwood color out...so we have read you should sand it first then put tung oil or linseed oil or some type of finish on it.
Do you mean on the outside, leaving it in the shape it is in, or after you cut it up?

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Welcome from Crossville TN. To bring out the rich red of redwood, you will need to sand the exterior starting with a fairly coarse (say 80) grit, then repeat with progressively finer to finish at no less than 300 grit. Follow with a light wipe of oil. You may find the outside to be lighter than you expect due to the sapwood being lighter colored than the heartwood.

Debbie Critz

Reaction score
First name
Debbie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome from Crossville TN. To bring out the rich red of redwood, you will need to sand the exterior starting with a fairly coarse (say 80) grit, then repeat with progressively finer to finish at no less than 300 grit. Follow with a light wipe of oil. You may find the outside to be lighter than you expect due to the sapwood being lighter colored than the heartwood.
Thank you we really don't want to cut it, I want to keep it whole. This does really help. Thank you

JonLanier

Reaction score
First name
Jon
Hello looking for help on how to refinish a approximately 30 year old redwood burl found off the coast of California. The burl is at least 30 or 40 lbs.
You shouldn't. What you need to do is PM here, I can share with you where to send it. I'll take good care of it for you. :good2: