Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Great looking stuff, glad you went back for more!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After a rough count of the rings, I come up with 112 rings. I need to plane down one of the big ones that still has the center showing to get a more accurate count....

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
After a rough count of the rings, I come up with 112 rings. I need to plane down one of the big ones that still has the center showing to get a more accurate count....

112 years- big tree. It is funny to compare trees from east/yards or in the west. I sent paul @phinds a cedar sample. Long story but I cut this tree down in 1973- it was about 30" western redcedar. There was a grove of them dying that a buddy and I bought from forest service. 20 cords for $100 Yikes times have changed(cedar is $1500 on the stump Now). here is his quote"one inch wide end grain cross section areas showing just how high the ring count is on these pieces. The little blue lines span 10 rings each except those that have a ring count directly above them. Both pieces have about 110 rings/inch, with one of them also having (and shown clearly in the first pic) that one area of 1/4" has 55 rings which prorates out to 220 rings/inch which is the highest ring count I have ever heard of and I would have found it hard to believe had I not done the counting myself. I actually have one piece one this site that has a higher ring count across a full inch (a piece of old growth Douglas-fir) but even it doesn't have any region with 55 rings in 1/4". "
YOU GET 112 rings in a 30" tree - this had that in 1". Cedars in the west grow in damp areas- big ones show how the weather changes especially in inland northwest. we are semiarid. This tree was in a very small seasonal creek bottom. must have been some pretty arid yrs there.....

Last edited:

jasonb

Sawdust = man glitter
Reaction score
First name
Jason
Good looking stuff, if you decided you want to part with a bowl blank, lemme know...