sawmill running on rails

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
my newest yard location has 2 rail spurs, one of which isn't used. i have to cut a 29 foot long gluelam beam down from 12"x36" to a 5"x16" beam. so instead of building a new set of rails to run it on, 36" wide, i built outrigger wheels to run right on the 57" wide rail spur.

KIMG3786.JPG

KIMG3785.JPG

KIMG3784.JPG

KIMG3783.JPG

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How flat and even is the spur?
very flat especially over 20 to 30 foot stretch, and as long as the wood is fairly parallel to the track. as long as i cut flat on top and proceed down i'll get a reasonably true surface, the rails are also very consistently 57" apart inside. if that were not true all i'd have to do is move to a larger wheel. but because the flange is on the inside of rail car wheels uniform at 57" the rails don't have much choice to conform to the rail cars which can weigh up to 210,000 lbs when loaded

Last edited:

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
when discussing this with my brother, who has more sawmill experience. he stated one guy he worked with in Missouri, ran his sawmill of this same design, on his caster flat on his concrete garage floor with no rails. just chocked the log and went to work rolling it back and forth, quite freehand. he got a quality result none the less

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
As long as your floor is flat, that is the only way to cut curved stock without going extremely wide on your mill. Works well for timberframers who are using natural curves to form their bents.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
We need to find him some longer trees....
i am working on getting a bunch of freshly removed wood utility poles. top section (about 30 ft each) of them being taken down by the local power company. i should be able to cut solid wood beams 6 x 10s or 5x12s readily out of them. poles are free, and a solid wood beam 6"x12"x30 ft should sell for about $300 readily

here's a pricing chart for timbers

6x12x30 $18 per linear foot in fir

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
i am working on getting a bunch of freshly removed wood utility poles

i am working on getting a bunch of freshly removed wood utility poles. top section (about 30 ft each) of them being taken down by the local power company. i should be able to cut solid wood beams 6 x 10s or 5x12s readily out of them. poles are free, and a solid wood beam 6"x12"x30 ft should sell for about $300 readily
True dat. I have paid 2 grand for frame on a 16x20 porch with the longest piece 16 ft

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Love the idea Trev. Would also love to scrounge around the scrap piles
those 2 pies behind in picture 4 are military gunnery range scrap, aluminums on the left and tank tracks and vehicle frames and drive trains an the right, all shot to s**t,

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Love the idea Trev. Would also love to scrounge around the scrap piles
my primary business this year, had to set up a new corporation, payroll work comp and insurances, is at this scrap yard. i buy from the scrap yard all of the materials with a useful life that come in and put them up for resale. rebar, chain link fence panels, structural steel, metal clad foam insulating building panels, and wide menagerie of items, like chain, chain hoists, chain binders, forklift parts, steel stairs, steel trade show booth frames. here's a small sample of some of the latest items, well pipe for coral building is a good seller also

KIMG3117.JPG

21653.jpeg

KIMG3084.JPG

20865.jpeg

KIMG2947.JPG

18987.jpeg

18597.jpeg

Screenshot_20200609-111204.png

17958.jpeg

KIMG2688.JPG

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
added 2 full time employees in 2020 and have been doing very well considering the troubles facing a lot of people during this pandemic. lots of creative build stuff comes in as well like the jet engine turbines and the plane wing shaped fan blades

KIMG2676.JPG

KIMG2636.JPG

17623.png

KIMG2626.JPG

KIMG2504.JPG

KIMG2396.JPG

KIMG2310.JPG

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Man I wish we had a business like yours around here. The local scrap yards are pretty old school and not really geared for retail sales. I have bought a few things in the past but it's usually more trouble than its worth.