• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Setting Up Shop

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Yeah, I did note some differences, but also a number of similarities, so while I'm thinking Reed, certainly not 100% positive. Reed did make some changes to the 104 over the time they offered it. And maybe, with them casting for someone else, they made a few changes so it wasn't exactly the same as theirs. Reed did make vises for Craftsman for a while, including the time period Craftsman sold this one, so that furthers the thinking on it being a Reed.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Last night I started working on restoring the vise. Broke it down and gave it a good cleaning with some simple green. Today I wirebrushed it to remove rust. Gave it a good cleaning with lacquer thinner to clean off grease reside. Taped machined spots off. Then applied a coat of primer. Tomorrow night I will put a coat of paint on.

Overall this vise is in good shape. The screws on one jaw didn't want to budge, so I just left the jaw in place. The other jaw, after getting through the rust, I discovered had been welded in place. No removing that one! The jaws are in quite good shape, so no need to think about refreshing or replacing them.

94.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
First of two coats of paint went on today. Tomorrow night I'll apply the second.

95.jpg

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
The place where I had planned to mount the vise just isn't ideal. I've also been needing a place to mount my bench grinder, set my Taig micro lathe, and really just have as a small dedicated metal working/tools area. And for as much as I have enjoyed building my workbench, I just am not in the mood to go and build another workbench right now - I really want to jump into some projects for my wife/around the house once I finish a few things up in the shop. She's been very patient about waiting for me to get the shop fully set up before I start on projects for our home, but I get the sense that she's ready for me to get started on some of those projects.

So I ordered a bench today - a Gladiator bench, wood top and steel legs, 66 1/2" x 20" top. The size will fit perfectly in the spot I have for it. It'll be available for me to pick it up at Home Depot sometime next week. Having the open space under this bench will also provide a good place to put some things, shop vac, etc., out of the way when not in use.

96.jpg