Thought I'd do another Model Build

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Another great build, Ken. Where do you get the instructions for these or do you actually design them?

PS love the coffee cup with the tree that is behind the grader. We have a few pieces of that pattern.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another great build, Ken. Where do you get the instructions for these or do you actually design them?

PS love the coffee cup with the tree that is behind the grader. We have a few pieces of that pattern.
This is actually Toys and Joys Pattern #70. I designed all of the laser engraving files but the plans for the grader were someone else's work.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'd make the other 3 tires, retain the replaced for another build, or trade / sell to another toy maker.
The more I look at it, the more I hate it and the more it bothers me. Looks like Wednesday is going to be a recovery day to replace 3 tires on a model but even though it will probably take the whole day (it took two full days to make 6 wheels) I will be happier with the end result. The old wheels, no matter how I look at them, have backwards treads so they will become designer firewood for the wood stove.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
The more I look at it, the more I hate it and the more it bothers me. Looks like Wednesday is going to be a recovery day to replace 3 tires on a model but even though it will probably take the whole day (it took two full days to make 6 wheels) I will be happier with the end result. The old wheels, no matter how I look at them, have backwards treads so they will become designer firewood for the wood stove.
You made 6 wheels for the driver / left side. Those tires would work for a deuce and a half Army truck, double wheel on a farm tractor and the list goes on.

1672109300466.png 1672109381554.png

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
I am 100% confident I could build this model in almost the same amount of time you did. 61hrs seems easy enough....IF I had all the parts give to me and the instructions were simple enough for a 5 yr old. :lol2::lol2:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I don't know, looks kind of realistic. If anyone asks, just tell them there was a new guy in the maintenance shop.

PS: I sent a copy of the finished model photo to my son. Maybe he'll get a chance to show them to a Caterpiller exec or something and they'll send you a giant contract for a buhzillion dollars to make some more of those.

Last edited:

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well, I just couldn't do it. I just couldn't stand to look at those 3 wheels with the treads in the wrong direction. So today, I spent 7 hours, cutting them off and making 3 new wheels and 3 new hubs. I'm much happier with the model now and I can call this one done. Total time spent (including my wheel mess up) 68 hours. Time well spent.

IMG_9456.JPG

IMG_9457.JPG

IMG_9458.JPG

IMG_9459.JPG

IMG_9460.JPG

IMG_9461.JPG

IMG_9462.JPG

IMG_9463.JPG

IMG_9464.JPG

IMG_9465.JPG

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
This is one of those times I wish I could select multiple reactions. Wow.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Just a challenge. Next time do a model of the big ACCO grader. Largest ever built, but never used and now dismantled. That thing was a giant and had 12 tires. Thing had two motors for a total of 1700 hp and was literally as big as my house! Made for a mine in Libya

Last edited: