Reaction score
First name
David

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't have Chittum......but I do have HRB. Agree with Mike, you have to know how to look at chittum burls in the woods before even harvesting, this is not easy to master, because if not, you'll soon find yourself with a bunch of cutoffs. As well, if you don't hit embedded limestone, consider yourself lucky.

DRW sorry for the late reply! Say you have HRB for sale? I would be interested could you send pictures. Thank you!

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd

DRW

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Thanks Dave. I wonder what the grain looks like on trunk and branch burls of Smoketree?
I've seen hundreds of chittum trees and have never seen a burl on them anywhere than at the base of the tree into the root. You can tell, after some practice, just how good the burl will be as far as eyes go.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Thank you Mr. Peet i’m hunting for burl wood That has more eyes per square inch.
Leroy

I was not offering burl, I was simply showing how 'Redbud burl' is similar to 'Chittum burl'. I was also showing how angle cut can greatly influence grain shown. If the 'redbud' burl sample had been cut 90 degrees to what is shown, all of the 'ray' looking lines would have been represented as 'eye' looking things on the face. Thus the reason of showing the side view too.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
Thank you Mr. Peet I appreciate you showing the Red Bud Burl very much! In Georgia our red bud tree is very small almost a large bush.
The root wood is beautiful but it’s a very little harvest.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Thank you Mr. Peet I appreciate you showing the Red Bud Burl very much! In Georgia our red bud tree is very small almost a large bush.
The root wood is beautiful but it’s a very little harvest.

And to add to it, I still don't have a sample of 'Chittum' in my wood collection. Nearly every time I see it here on WB it is in pen blank form, beyond my pocket or has been promised to an other. I understand your desire to have it.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
And to add to it, I still don't have a sample of 'Chittum' in my wood collection. Nearly every time I see it here on WB it is in pen blank form, beyond my pocket or has been promised to an other. I understand your desire to have it.

Mr. peet,
What size is the wood you prefer in your collection?
Leroy Blue

NeilYeag

Reaction score
First name
Neil
I have one nice hunk of what I think is Chittum Burl in my stash. Saving it for a rainy day ha.

chittum burl CB NS1 (sideroxylon lanuginosum).jpg

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
After the wood seasons, I finish mill it to 3" x 6" x 1/2".

Mr Peet, Hoping I might work a trade with you. I looked through my Chittum Burl for a collectors size sample. I found a figured but no burls and a piece figured with a good spread of burls. They are both under your collection size. They are 6 x 2 x 1/2 and
4 3/4 x 3 x 1/2. If you are interested I will send pictures.
Leroy Blue

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Mr Peet, Hoping I might work a trade with you. I looked through my Chittum Burl for a collectors size sample. I found a figured but no burls and a piece figured with a good spread of burls. They are both under your collection size. They are 6 x 2 x 1/2 and
4 3/4 x 3 x 1/2. If you are interested I will send pictures.
Leroy Blue

Thank you so much for looking LB,

I'll ask you to keep them and use them for something great and I will wait until the right size comes along. Been breathing ok this long, so I can wait. Thank you again for taking time to look. I appreciate it.

Leroy Blue

Reaction score
First name
Boyd
Thank you so much for looking LB,

I'll ask you to keep them and use them for something great and I will wait until the right size comes along. Been breathing ok this long, so I can wait. Thank you again for taking time to look. I appreciate it.

Your Welcome I will keep my eyes open.
In your collection do you have Scarlet Oak?

Today I am going to Carlton McLendon
wood store in Atlanta you never know what treasures they might have.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Your Welcome I will keep my eyes open.
In your collection do you have Scarlet Oak?

Today I am going to Carlton McLendon
wood store in Atlanta you never know what treasures they might have.

Quercus coccinea, Scarlet oak, I have a single sample, flat sawn without any sapwood, from Pennsylvania. What do you have?

Carlton McLendon, tell Richard I said Hello, haven't seen him since February or spoke to him in months.