Tigre Caspi (Zygia cataractae)

Big Ry

Member
Full Member
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
1,910
Location
Philadelphia, PA
First name
Ryan
I am in contact with a guy who just bought a bunch of wood from an estate sale, and I am working on a deal to purchase some of it from him. One of the pieces is a bowl blank of Tigre Caspi (Zygia cataractae), which is related to and closely resembles Marblewood (Zygia racemosa). I had never even heard of Tigre Caspi prior to this, and have never seen any for sale. I have been trying to find some point of reference for pricing in order to make him an offer on the blank. Marblewood is for sale at several dealers at the moment, but Tigre Caspi is not. Is it safe to use Marblewood pricing or no? If not, does anyone have any clue what this species goes for? The blank is 8x8x3 and actually looks like it might have ambrosia staining.

Screenshot_20260927_233334_Messenger.webp
 
I see it in the Wood name database as Tiger caspi - Zygia cataractae, Zygia inaequalis and Zygia juruana. I have handled it a few times but have none so can't say much. Hearnes was that last place I saw any. I'd think it is 15% or more higher in price due to being less availble.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4
I see it in the Wood name database as Tiger caspi - Zygia cataractae, Zygia inaequalis and Zygia juruana. I have handled it a few times but have none so can't say much. Hearnes was that last place I saw any. I'd think it is 15% or more higher in price due to being less availble.
Is that 15% like a universal rule or specific to this species?
 
Back
Top