Today's Backyard Wildlife

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
This poor hummingbird, not sure what is wrong, but sure was perched a lot. He ate feverishly, then it was like he was all tuckered out.

IMG_7355.jpeg

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This buck was grazing on my neighbor's lawn, now he's laying down behind the mugo pines. He's safe as long as he stays over there. But I have my slingshot ready if he tries to sneak over here for a snack.

buck.jpg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
How's about a compound slingshot with a pointy stick in it? That looks to be carrying my roast venison supper on his left hip... Here in TN we have had one hunt already.
He's probably carrying enough for several meals. He's not the biggest I've seen around here, and not the biggest set of antlers, but he's good size.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
As a paperboy as a child, I developed a lifelong dislike for spiders. But I still admire the big garden spider. I think this one is a banana spider, and she is a big'un - with several small (I assume children) spiders with her. They weave beautiful, huge webs and do their part in insect protection. We have a more traditional black and gold garden spider on the other side of the house.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I've got an orb-weaver that has been making a huge web across the area I usually pass through to cut off the backyard faucet after finished with the watering. This is usually after dark, and I have taken to using a flashlight so I don't mess up the beautiful structure it worked so hard to construct.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I had some visitors while I was having my lunch. Bunch of bachelor's. 1 Longbeard.
Taken out the window of my semi.
5 jakes.
20230927_115536.jpg

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
Better than two in the bush...

Sitting at my computer, right in front of a large picture window looking up the hill into the woods, the birds often glide downhill to the feeders at the house often coming straight at me. This one came a little too straight at me. Saw it on the approach, but then it didn't pull up at all and smashed straight into the window. The hard hit made me cringe. Went out to see how it was, he was laying in the leaves, neck bent backwards, wings spread. Wasn't looking promising. Long story short, fully recovered with a little emotional support from my son.
IMG_6176.JPG
IMG_6178.JPG

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
White-breasted nuthatch. Glad he wasn't seriously hurt. We've had 6 robins commit suicide on our windows this winter.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I’ve got a brain dead cardinal who, for 3 years, has beat himself up attacking himself in the basement door window. Occasionally he moves to one of the other basement windows, but is constantly attacking a reflection.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
We've got one of those cardinals too, only this one sit in the bushes in front of our bay window and attacks it all day.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I was recently at my son’s house in Sacramento, CA, and a bird flew into his house. Like a bird whisperer, my son slowly approached the window the bird was trying to fly through and gradually captured it in his hands. Took it outside and opened his hands. The bird stayed still for a few moments before it flew off. It was the darndest thing! Chuck

IMG_8843.jpeg