Today's Backyard Wildlife

What makes you want to call me a liar? Take another closer look and maybe you'll see what I see. In case you can't see it, here is a picture I tried to make a decent edit of. The deer is at upper left, and there is what looks like a Puma in the poorly made circles. I know it isn't a real lyin, but I see things a lot of others do not. ........... NubsView attachment 293220
Ahhh. I see it now!!
 
While not in my backyard, per say, it is the back yard..at work. I was installing some corrugated roofing and saw this guy fly over me in the reflection on the roofing. Sat there for about a minute then went off to get some mice in the feild.

IMG_20260916_090953_MP.webp
 
I noticed a bird that didn't quite look familiar to me today so I went out and sat beneath the spruce tree and waited for them to come back around the feeder. Turns out we have a few Cassin's finches, mostly juveniles or females (hard to tell them apart). I think the one perched on the juniper branch is an adult female, the one on the ground is a juvenile. But pretty birds with spotted breasts. And one ubiquitous scrub jay portrait and one Calif quail just for good measure.
cassin's finch female 2.webp

cassin's finch female front view.webp

cassin's finch female.webp

portrait closeup.webp

young male 2026.webp


Here's a house finch for comparison.
house finch 2026.webp
 
Last edited:
I noticed a bird that didn't quite look familiar to me today so I went out and sat beneath the spruce tree and waited for them to come back around the feeder. Turns out we have a few Cassin's finches, mostly juveniles or females (hard to tell them apart). But pretty birds with spotted breasts. And one ubiquitous scrub jay portrait and one Calif quail just for good measure.
View attachment 293541

View attachment 293542

View attachment 293543

View attachment 293544

View attachment 293545


Here's a house finch for comparison.
View attachment 293546
Such great shots! Like how you ID them so well!
 
Yes, I really like the 5DS. Got it for a third of the normal price. Canon was closing out their latest mirrored cameras. BUT, it's NOT a 5D. Better tracking with my lens than my old camera, but ISO is only up to 6400.
Y'all are speaking Canonish. I only speak Nikonish with some Sigmaish and just a little really sharp 300mm f2.8. What I really want is a dslr body that does video. None of my bodies does video. All my lenses are Nikon or Nikon mounts so will likely stick with Nikon. For grins looking for a vintage Leica film camera.
 
Y'all are speaking Canonish. I only speak Nikonish with some Sigmaish and just a little really sharp 300mm f2.8. What I really want is a dslr body that does video. None of my bodies does video. All my lenses are Nikon or Nikon mounts so will likely stick with Nikon. For grins looking for a vintage Leica film camera.
Nikons are OK; the fall way behind Canon though lol. Seriously, it's like Stihl vs Husky, if you're a chainsaw guy. My 5DS and my previous camera are suppose to do videos, but the tracking is reported to be terrible. I am by no means an expert, but does any DSLR do videos well?
 
Y'all are speaking Canonish. I only speak Nikonish with some Sigmaish and just a little really sharp 300mm f2.8. What I really want is a dslr body that does video. None of my bodies does video. All my lenses are Nikon or Nikon mounts so will likely stick with Nikon. For grins looking for a vintage Leica film camera.
my son might have such for sale
 
Nikons are OK; the fall way behind Canon though lol. Seriously, it's like Stihl vs Husky, if you're a chainsaw guy. My 5DS and my previous camera are suppose to do videos, but the tracking is reported to be terrible. I am by no means an expert, but does any DSLR do videos well?
You know, I don't really know. Just seen them being used.

Have both A-1 and AE-1 bodies somewhere, but never used them. Bought second hand well after newer models came out. My main body now is a D3X. Didn't mean to go to Nikon, but, and old time newspaper and freelance photographer, who was a member of my church, inadvertently changed,my mind. Knew his newspaper work, but not his free-lance. Was talking to him one time and he showed me a shot, then he showed me what it looked like on the cover of Time and some others. I thought he would be using an F3HP with motor drive, but he said no. Being a little bit of a smart-aleck, I asked if he used a Speed Graphic. He laughed, said no, he had happily sold that a long time before. Then he showed me a N2020 - a small body, and Nikon's first really successful AF. He let me use it a little while and I fell in love with it. I sorta chuckled and asked why he chose to use such a non-pro camera. He said he was getting old and it was lightweight, but more importantly, it focused better and quicker than he could. He was getting more infocus action shots with it. I was sold.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top