Trifoliate Orange

Firewood Potter

Member
Full Member
Messages
253
Reaction score
826
Location
Alabama
First name
Dave
Grown by my family for more than 100 yrs. I haven’t used the wood itself but intend to try it as I am cutting several dawn. The trunks of a few are appx 2 inches but with the thorns it is a bugger bear to get to. I have to use a pole saw to cut them. I have, though, used the fruit to make marmalade and a lemonade like drink. I dried some of the rind and powdered it, sister made a an acceptable "bitters" with it mixed with vodka. Anyone else familiar with this shrub? Here is a link about it. It’s about 15 ft tall.

Here is a pic of one of mine.
IMG_1212.webp
 
I made marmalade out of the oranges once. It tasted lovely, but there's not much pulp or juice in each fruit, so you have to process a lot of them. It's pretty labor-intensive marmalade.

We have one growing behind my workplace -- thorny, and very shrubby, without a central trunk. I don't have the right to cut this one down, but if you can spare a small chunk of yours, I'd like to put it in my university's wood collection. Let me know
 
Back
Top