Tulipwood ID help

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
Recently bought out a nice collection of wood and there is a board marked “Tulip”. Was trying to confirm if it’s Brazilian Tulipwood. Side grain shot sanded to 400 (dry and wetted) and end grain sanded to 400. Seemed like the weight was a little off. I weighed it at about 11 pounds but, by my calculation, it should be closer to 15 pounds (3.4 bf) Thanks for any help!
@phinds
@Mr. Peet

IMG_5047.jpeg IMG_5051.jpeg IMG_5050.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Although the end grain does not rule out tulipwood, the face grain certainly does, for 2 reasons. First, this would have to be all sapwood and tulipwood has a narrow sapwood, AND the sapwood is nowhere near as grainy as your piece, and (2) tulipwood normally looks like what @Mike1950 posted directly above.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
It’s definitely not tulipwood- density would be about 5 pounds per board foot. You can’t make a fingernail indentation. At 3.4 pounds it would be effortless. It should also feel silky smooth and glassy in hand if it was tulipwood.

Last edited:

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also have these 2 pieces marked Tulipwood (from a different source as the post above) and they both weigh right at the 5# /BF. Wetted.

The zoom pic of the flat grain looks similar to the pic of the “other piece” I posted yesterday (above).

IMG_5073.jpeg IMG_5072.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
The zoom pic of the flat grain looks similar to the pic of the “other piece” I posted yesterday (above).
No, not really. This piece does not have the graininess (in addition to the obvious difference in color).

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
For @phinds
Is the end grain shot helping to ID the post from yesterday? I can’t find any other wood (Google) with that somewhat significant red grain - other than Tulipwood. I looked at your website and you have examples of flat sawn Tulipwood that looks similar.
Sorry for being a pest and thanks to you all for your patience.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I am going to see if I can locate one in my stash for you. There is a big possibility that this can be canary wood and it has that color that you show and can have that reddish highlight on the growth rings. This looks too orange to be tulipwood. Tulipwood has shades of pinks in it and deep fuschia. I have had planks of these canary wood and have a guitar amp 2 x 10 combo wrapped in canary wood- it is dense, hard and heavy. The difference in density is close (.52 to .60) to tulipwood…..canary wood does grow in Brazil too.

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
I am going to see if I can locate one in my stash for you. There is a big possibility that this can be canary wood and it has that color that you show and can have that reddish highlight on the growth rings. This looks too orange to be tulipwood. Tulipwood has shades of pinks in it and deep fuschia. I have had planks of these canary wood and have a guitar amp 2 x 10 combo wrapped in canary wood- it is dense, hard and heavy. The difference in density is close (.52 to .60) to tulipwood…..canary wood does grow in Brazil too.
Nice one Arn. Just looked up Canarywood and can see the similarities you’re referencing.

PS - haven’t forgotten about you! I’ll get on it soon……..

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Nice one Arn. Just looked up Canarywood and can see the similarities you’re referencing.

PS - haven’t forgotten about you! I’ll get on it soon……..
No worries John. I found it and this was taken a couple of years ago, but this is a good example and it has creamish pink with the pink value highlights (tint to shade; light pinks to dark pinks). It is very, very smooth with a silky hand similar to ebony or pink ivory or Brazilian pernambuco.

IMG_1331.jpeg

IMG_1331.jpeg

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
No worries John. I found it and this was taken a couple of years ago, but this is a good example and it has creamish pink with the pink value highlights (tint to shade; light pinks to dark pinks). It is very, very smooth with a silky hand similar to ebony or pink ivory or Brazilian pernambuco.

View attachment 256174

View attachment 256175
Oh yea. Looks good. I’m going to take a look at mine again in the sunlight. The lights in my garage/shop are giving off some yellowish colors. Thanks Arn!

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
For @phinds
Is the end grain shot helping to ID the post from yesterday? I can’t find any other wood (Google) with that somewhat significant red grain - other than Tulipwood. I looked at your website and you have examples of flat sawn Tulipwood that looks similar.
Sorry for being a pest and thanks to you all for your patience.
No pest at all. I'm always willing to be wrong. As I said at first, the end grain does not rule out tulipwood, but your first piece still does not look like tulipwood.

Canary end grain is a close match to your piece but not as close as tulipwood. I don't know what your piece IS but I still don't think it's tulipwood.

EDIT: also, canary is not as grainy as your first piece.

can you get a pic of the end grain of your first piece with a scale? I am puzzled by the combination of apparently small pores and large graininess, but since I have no scale on either one, it's hard to say.

Last edited:

JD1137

Reaction score
First name
John
No pest at all. I'm always willing to be wrong. As I said at first, the end grain does not rule out tulipwood, but your first piece still does not look like tulipwood.

Canary end grain is a close match to your piece but not as close as tulipwood. I don't know what your piece IS but I still don't think it's tulipwood.

EDIT: also, canary is not as grainy as your first piece.

can you get a pic of the end grain of your first piece with a scale? I am puzzled by the combination of apparently small pores and large graininess, but since I have no scale on either one, it's hard to say.
Hey Paul - thanks again for the feedback. My first post does have an end grain shot with a scale (1/16th)
Do you want something different?

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Hey Paul - thanks again for the feedback. My first post does have an end grain shot with a scale (1/16th)
Do you want something different?
yes, apparently I could use a new set of eyes :smile:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
John just send me the whole pile so I can properly ID it 😉………you still have my address correct?