Turning LARGE Burls

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Lesson on how to waste hundreds of pounds of burl. Not exactly sure what kind of burl, looks like amboyna to me, but could be several other things. The cut offs alone are the types of pieces we here drool over. The shop is an OSHA training ground for what not to do. But the wood, oh man!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Lesson on how to waste hundreds of pounds of burl. Not exactly sure what kind of burl, looks like amboyna to me, but could be several other things. The cut offs alone are the types of pieces we here drool over. The shop is an OSHA training ground for what not to do. But the wood, oh man!

lesson is being a chip maker- wood wastin SOBs of the wood world.....

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pretty wood, but I really wanted to see them hollow it out!
Looking at the comments on the video, that was a common response. Towards the end you see several of the same type pieces, seems like a one trick pony. A cored nesting set or several hollow forms from that one burl might be a better use of great wood. But it looks like there was no shortage to work with.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Drool worthy wood stash! Wondering if that piece will crack.
I think it has a much better chance of cracking being solid instead of hollowed out. I think that is amboyna- not bad to dry

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
At least they didn't hollow it, so some day in the future, some lucky person might find it at a garage sale or thrift store, and recycle it....

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
The guy has to use a "World's Strongest Man" dead-lift to move the finished turned piece.