USPS

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Did not find on USPS site. I will ask at post office today.
Just to let everybody know USPS has gone up on priority deliveries through January.
Medium flat rate box is now $17.05 large flat rate box is $22.45 I will find out the small priority flat rate box later today thanks. 

They did same last year but in January it stayed same price.

gvwp

Reaction score
First name
David
Go UPS. While they too have a surcharge this time of year, they often can beat USPS flat rate prices if the package is not extremely heavy and not shipping from one end of the country to the other. I do remember the USPS ads for "2 days, 2 pounds, $2.90". Good ole days.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Just FYI...
I went to box up some 12x12 bowl blanks tonight. I had a pack of new LFRB'S in the basement so I grabbed them. Went to put it in and it ripped the side right out. I looked and USPS has changed the size of them. Now the id is 12x11.75. Just to let everyone know if you don't already. Luckily I still had a few of the old style. Guess I'll have to change the cut size or only ship the 12x12 via UPS.

20221116_194612.jpg

20221116_194617.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Just FYI...
I went to box up some 12x12 bowl blanks tonight. I had a pack of new LFRB'S in the basement so I grabbed them. Went to put it in and it ripped the side right out. I looked and USPS has changed the size of them. Now the id is 12x11.75. Just to let everyone know if you don't already. Luckily I still had a few of the old style. Guess I'll have to change the cut size or only ship the 12x12 via UPS.

View attachment 233821

View attachment 233822
Why the heck would they do that? There are many things that are shipped that are a true square. Chuck

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
Why the heck would they do that? There are many things that are shipped that are a true square. Chuck
Same reason orange juice cartons and chip bags have gotten smaller... easiest way to cut costs without most folks noticing. THIS is the unaccounted for inflation, in my opinion.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Same reason orange juice cartons and chip bags have gotten smaller... easiest way to cut costs without most folks noticing. THIS is the unaccounted for inflation, in my opinion.
Yep….even has a name…. It’s called shrinkflation

GlynnC

Reaction score
First name
Glynn
I've seen exactly what you're talking about and heard the term "shrinkflation" - preview of the future.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Any have good experience using UPS Simple Rate (which I understand goes up to 50 lbs and you’re not limited to fixed box sizes)?

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-costs-rates/flat-rate-shipping.page

Large: $19.60
Dimensions: 651-1,050 cubic inches
Common Box Dimensions: 10 in x 10 in x 10 in, 12 in x 12 in x 7 in, 15 in x 11 in x 6 in
Size Samples: Regulation basketball or 14-inch laptop

Extra Large: $24.30
Dimensions: 1,051-1,728 cubic inches
Common Box Dimensions: 12 in x 12 in x 12 in, 16 in x 12 in x 9 in, 18 in x 12 in x 6 in
Size Samples: Small appliances or tennis racket

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I use it quite a bit. Every XL I've sent is $28/cheapest rate I've been able to get. I buy 12×12×6 boxes which cost me about $3

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I use it quite a bit. Every XL I've sent is $28/cheapest rate I've been able to get. I buy 12×12×6 boxes which cost me about $3
I use the free starter account at https://shippingeasy.com/ to use their discounted business rates and print pre-paid labels for USPS and UPS. Takes a little bit of time to get payment set up and figure out a good printing process. For example, I save my pdf labels to my hard drive and then use Adobe Acrobat Reader to print them centered on a page. My browsers don’t give me a centering feature so labels get cut off a little on the left side. This beats waiting in line at the post office especially for flat packages that I mostly send out.

I have not used shippingeasy pay for UPS Simple Rate packages. Might try sending out Christmas packages this way to see how their prices compare especially with the XL flat rate size that USPS doesn’t support.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Any have good experience using UPS Simple Rate (which I understand goes up to 50 lbs and you’re not limited to fixed box sizes)?

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-costs-rates/flat-rate-shipping.page

Large: $19.60
Dimensions: 651-1,050 cubic inches
Common Box Dimensions: 10 in x 10 in x 10 in, 12 in x 12 in x 7 in, 15 in x 11 in x 6 in
Size Samples: Regulation basketball or 14-inch laptop

Extra Large: $24.30
Dimensions: 1,051-1,728 cubic inches
Common Box Dimensions: 12 in x 12 in x 12 in, 16 in x 12 in x 9 in, 18 in x 12 in x 6 in
Size Samples: Small appliances or tennis racket
I have used ups for several shipments including a headboard for a family member. That took 2 boxes.
I make my own boxes because I tend to send odd size or shape items. Like these wall decor items for a niece 20210315_204311.jpg the other plaque read "dreams". The skull is wood as well.

Joker9

Surprize, AZ
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Been using Pirate ship for usps and i'm seeing a 20% reduction. Not a bad deal!!