Visiting a friend

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know where that is, that works for me Kevin. It's close to the airport Jerry.
Yep, and I think I've eaten there before. I watched a woman pull into the park across the street, get a bucket out of her car trunk, and proceed into the eastern fringe of the park vegetation, and started picking something. I thought it was funny as here I don't think you can take anything out of a park, except memories, good or bad.

My flintknapping friend Larry Werthiem has his accounting business at Warfield and Colwick street. The guy I'm traveling with has never met Larry, but has communicated with online him for the last 8-10 years. Now, they are finally gonna meet. I'm gonna bring a couple large pieces of Olive and Texas Ebony. If someone wanted a smaller piece, bring a chainsaw, and we can cut it up at Larry's place. He's just about a half mile from 2 Bro's. He owns that corner and has plenty of parking on or off the street. ........ Jerry (in Tucson)

TXMoon

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Yep, and I think I've eaten there before. I watched a woman pull into the park across the street, get a bucket out of her car trunk, and proceed into the eastern fringe of the park vegetation, and started picking something. I thought it was funny as here I don't think you can take anything out of a park, except memories, good or bad.

My flintknapping friend Larry Werthiem has his accounting business at Warfield and Colwick street. The guy I'm traveling with has never met Larry, but has communicated with online him for the last 8-10 years. Now, they are finally gonna meet. I'm gonna bring a couple large pieces of Olive and Texas Ebony. If someone wanted a smaller piece, bring a chainsaw, and we can cut it up at Larry's place. He's just about a half mile from 2 Bro's. He owns that corner and has plenty of parking on or off the street. ........ Jerry (in Tucson)
Nice, I would definitely like a piece of the olive. All I have is a corded elec. chainsaw, I'll throw it in the trunk.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I'm posting 4 pictures of the wood I'm bringing. It was all destined for SWAT, but you all know the story. Anyway, here they are. On the left is Texas Ebony 11"front to back, 15" wide, and 18" tall. Middle is Cottonwood. It is 11" front to back, 15" wide and 29" tall. Those dimensions log only. The burls were not included, so it's a lot bigger than I stated. The side pictured has about 15 burls, and about that many on the other side. The other piece on the right is Olive trunk section that grew about 15 off the ground. It was cut by me, otherwise if the machine operates had separated, it would all look like the wood does by my Chevy emblem. that piece is 18" round and 35" tall. The Palo Verde slab in the foreground is from @Az Turnings's yard. 2 3/4" thick x 29" wide x 38 and 54" tall. My camera didn't want to give me a good picture of the faded colors in the wood. IMG_8680.JPG
The slab of Palo Verde
IMG_8682.JPG

Texas Ebony
IMG_8684.JPG
Cottonwood The color you see is wax bleed from a tarp I had it covered with.
IMG_8685.JPG
Olive
IMG_8686.JPG
These are all for sale to whomever might want them when we meet. I'll bring other stuff including Cholla stuff if any are interested. I also have Arizona Walnut, has bug tracks, but still good looking wood. Got some Walnut Grove, Arizona, Spalted Hackberry. A piece or two of the Desert Willow, or mystery wood, and some Apple. No need to bring Mesquite as you guys probably have as much as I do........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
The friend I'm traveling to San Antonio with would like some Osage Orange for making a couple bows. Anyone have any that will be in San Antonio?

Sarah has declined the lathe mentioned in an earlier comment. Any takers?? I'll leave it here if no one want's it. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
@Nubsnstubs
Jerry, I have some osage that I split. It is about 40" long but can cut it down. Let me know if you don't find any and I'll see how I can ship and figure a cost.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
@Nubsnstubs
Jerry, I have some osage that I split. It is about 40" long but can cut it down. Let me know if you don't find any and I'll see how I can ship and figure a cost.

Post office has tubes, but I don't know if they're big enough diameter. They also have a long triangular shaped carton but I don't know what length is on that one Eric. All else fails, local carpet store, tube out the middle of the roll works for long goodies like fishing rods and such. But USPS may not accept the length.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Post office has tubes, but I don't know if they're big enough diameter. They also have a long triangular shaped carton but I don't know what length is on that one Eric. All else fails, local carpet store, tube out the middle of the roll works for long goodies like fishing rods and such. But USPS may not accept the length.

You don't need a tube or box, wrap it in cellophane and stick a label on it. They're not going to hurt that wood, it's awful hard.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I got a whole log about 10-12 years ago that was 12"OD x 8' long while in Ohio. It had been dead about 10 years before I got it. The person I got it from quartered it for me. It has a bunch of small short cracks all through it running with the grain. I was going to use it for bow staves, but thought the cracks might be a problem.

Hey Tony, I know where there are a bunch of Osage trees along N. Grape Creek Road where it intersects with Wahrmund Ahrens Road. They are right on the road, but I know and you should know that county roads in Texas are still private property off pavement. These trees are about 3-4 feet off the pavement, and you should let the county know that soon, they will be a road hazard and need to be removed. Then, you can volunteer to remove them when they notify the landowners that they need to be removed. You can thank me later. I discovered them back in 04-05? maybe 06.

Go to Google Earth and put in these coordinates, 30 degrees 20' 41.31N 98 degrees 40' 27.12"W .I just went there, and it looks like they are still there really overhanging the road from the north side being that hazard I mentioned.....

About 07, we visited the DIL in Ohio. On the way back, I wanted to get up to Flint Ridge, Ohio. It has the most beautiful flint found anywhere in the US. So, I go up there, and meet up with a landowner, get my flint, and headed home. About 7-8 miles later I caught a glimpse of a huge rock sticking out of the road cut. I was driving too fast and with no available places to turn as it's on a down hill slope and I'm dragging my trailer with that Osage log. So, I chalk it up to something my mind will never forget.

Well, last year, this friend I'm riding with to Texas with told me he was going to Ohio and was going top Flint Ridge. I jumped on google earth, and found the location of that rock. I emailed him the coordinates. When he got there, he said it was a piece of cake finding it. Without them, he would have paid no attention to it as it being just another rock along the road cut. . He knocked off a couple small pieces for me. It was a lot prettier than the stuff I paid for. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Those coordinates are about 5 miles from my sons house
Barry, if that's the case, see if he'll get over to those coordinates, and verify that there are Osage Oranges in the vicinity.

I collected some rock just about 2 1/2 miles south on the Ahrens' property back in the day. Going to check it out and see if I still have permission there... . ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry, if that's the case, see if he'll get over to those coordinates, and verify that there are Osage Oranges in the vicinity.

I collected some rock just about 2 1/2 miles south on the Ahrens' property back in the day. Going to check it out and see if I still have permission there... . ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
He wouldn't know Qsage Oranges from Mandarin Oranges

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Barry, do you think he would know the difference between a horn and a thorn? hehehe I'm going to be in that neighborhood sometime between 10- 24-27. I'm curious if those trees I found years ago are still there.

If you want to educate him, tell him mandarin oranges come in cans.

Here are some more coordinates near Branson, Missouri. 36 degrees 40'03.94"N 93 degrees 05'26.20" W. It's a tree dumping ground 3 miles outside of Forsyth, Mo. I've seen a lot of Black Walnut 18 - 20" OD X 30-40 feet long logs, White Oak with burls same length, a bunch of different Maples as long, and then a lot of stuff I know nothing about. If my measurements are correct, it covers a little over 2 acres. When the area fills up, it's pushed into a ravine to the north. Takes about 3 years. The county loves it when people take wood out of there............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I'll be in Branson next week. hmmmmm
Well hell, Barry. It's just another 10.71 miles to the wood dump in Forsyth. I could send you over to a sawmiller just another .37 miles away. He's retired, has a well known brand manual mill, a million blades, and access to a lot of wood from the dump. Having a small tractor helps in bringing home the wood. I'll set up a meet if you're interested......

Just for grins, here is his coordinates 36 39'47.80N 93 05'15.11"W . His sawmill is in the center of grass area of the 'U' shape of his driveway. It's the long skinny thing oriented North South. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
I've got those coordinates logged. Whether we will have time (translate: if momma lets me) and being in an explorer instead of my truck will be the deciding factor. ....see translation above

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
I've got those coordinates logged. Whether we will have time (translate: if momma lets me) and being in an explorer instead of my truck will be the deciding factor. ....see translation above

U-Haul rents trailers for emergencies of that nature!

If the dump is as big as Jerry says, and the emergency is more severe, they rent large trucks and tow bars to0!

Wildthings

Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry, do you think he would know the difference between a horn and a thorn? hehehe I'm going to be in that neighborhood sometime between 10- 24-27. I'm curious if those trees I found years ago are still there.

If you want to educate him, tell him mandarin oranges come in cans.

Here are some more coordinates near Branson, Missouri. 36 degrees 40'03.94"N 93 degrees 05'26.20" W. It's a tree dumping ground 3 miles outside of Forsyth, Mo. I've seen a lot of Black Walnut 18 - 20" OD X 30-40 feet long logs, White Oak with burls same length, a bunch of different Maples as long, and then a lot of stuff I know nothing about. If my measurements are correct, it covers a little over 2 acres. When the area fills up, it's pushed into a ravine to the north. Takes about 3 years. The county loves it when people take wood out of there............. Jerry (in Tucson)
Visited this site today while we’re in the area. Lots of good stuff to pick through 0DD8CC5C-D606-4C91-B1F3-E9CF1172E297.jpeg

8C6212C2-E084-4EB9-A066-2504886332DB.jpeg