What does a 8 year old want for his birthday?

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
To shoot a gun of course. We have our grand nephew here for the weekend and today is his 8th birthday. Only thing he wants to do is shoot a gun. We messaged his mother for permission and it looks like a go. The weather is really all wrong, rain and wind. Fortunately the field & stream club has covered benches and is in a sheltered location. Don't know who is looking forward to it more him or me. I even got up early and swabbed the dust out of my old Winchester single shot bolt action ,first gun I ever shot , and the first one my dad ever owned. Gramp paid $5.00 for it brand new which in the depths of the depression was a good weeks pay.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
It's going to be a great day for y'all! Some of my favorite times as a boy were going fishing with my Dad and his brother and shooting turtles in the stock tank. They would've taken over if we hadn't controlled the population. Tony

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All and all a pretty successful afternoon. Rainy & foggy but at least it was not too cold and the range was not crowded.

thumbnail_P121816_1412.jpg

thumbnail_P121816_1423.jpg

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
It's going to be a great day for y'all! Some of my favorite times as a boy were going fishing with my Dad and his brother and shooting turtles in the stock tank. They would've taken over if we hadn't controlled the population. Tony
If you hunt turtles, is this how you fish in Texas?

images (1).jpg

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Great stuff Dave. He will remember that day for a very long time.
Suspect we will be doing it again, the plan now is that when he hits 12 years old I will get him into a hunter safety course so he can get his first hunting license. Vermont offers a spring youth hunting weekend a week ahead of the regular season for deer and turkey. Pretty good program that gets them interested in hunting. Teach your kids to hunt and you won't have to hunt for your kids.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
That's great he is interested in getting his hunting license. Can he not hunt under your supervision before he gets his license at 12?

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Suspect we will be doing it again, the plan now is that when he hits 12 years old I will get him into a hunter safety course so he can get his first hunting license. Vermont offers a spring youth hunting weekend a week ahead of the regular season for deer and turkey. Pretty good program that gets them interested in hunting. Teach your kids to hunt and you won't have to hunt for your kids.
You wont have to hunt for them but you will need to provide lots of bullets and guns and gas money +

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
That's great he is interested in getting his hunting license. Can he not hunt under your supervision before he gets his license at 12?

Hunting in our state requires a hunter safety training certificate. He is actually not required to have a hunting or fishing license if he 14 or younger. Youth day hunting requires that he be accompanied by a adult and have landowner permission. Some parents enroll their kids in a safety course when they are 7 or 8 just to get a easy deer, it is either sex a week before the season.
I think 12 is about rite especially in my nephews case because if he takes the course when he is 12 he will be almost 13 by the time hunting season rolls around.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
You wont have to hunt for them but you will need to provide lots of bullets and guns and gas money +

I recall one of my high school buddy's dad saying to him upon our return from a woodchuck hunting excursion "a tank of gas and a box of ammo is just a challenge to you".