• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

What free wood did you find today?

Trob115

Reaction score
First name
Trey
Traded a 4 foot section of of a 16 foot Ambrosia Maple log to a friend for some Cocobolo in photos below. I got the Maple for free so I guess this Coco is free also 🤔 Very dry with voids and drying cracks. I did cut 5 1/2” piece to see how bad it might be cracked inside. Should be able to make a few things…..

View attachment 215822

View attachment 215823

View attachment 215824

View attachment 215825
That is a cool looking log. Looks like you have some great opportunities to do projects with resin.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Got a fair size apple branch. Aim to saw a few flat stock pieces out of this before the bugs get near it. Hope to go harvest the rest of this tree soon. Not much of it is over 12 inch diameter but it had 3 large branches. So I am hoping to get a few crotch feather cuts to play with. Meanwhile, this is starting at me daring me to do something with it.
20210912_151947.jpg Blue lighter for scale.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Traded a 4 foot section of of a 16 foot Ambrosia Maple log to a friend for some Cocobolo in photos below. I got the Maple for free so I guess this Coco is free also 🤔 Very dry with voids and drying cracks. I did cut 5 1/2” piece to see how bad it might be cracked inside. Should be able to make a few things…..

View attachment 215822

View attachment 215823

View attachment 215824

View attachment 215825
That would be an awesome blank for an artsy carving, the dust would probably murder though...

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Got a fair size apple branch. Aim to saw a few flat stock pieces out of this before the bugs get near it. Hope to go harvest the rest of this tree soon. Not much of it is over 12 inch diameter but it had 3 large branches. So I am hoping to get a few crotch feather cuts to play with. Meanwhile, this is starting at me daring me to do something with it.
View attachment 215992 Blue lighter for scale.
Gotta love that blue lighter!!! Chuck